Is a 1/2 full tank safe in a hot car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anyone else finding these threads 'clutter up' the Advanced Forum?

[post=3765586]*Please Read* Special Forum Rules / Terms of Service[/post]
Advanced Scuba Discussions - A forum dedicated to discussing the transitional process of migrating from the traditional recreational divng envelope into more advanced areas such as advanced nitrox and trimix diving, decompression diving, cave diving and wreck penetration diving, blackwater diving, etc. This forum isn't a place to discuss technical diving per se - that's what our technical diving forums are for - but rather to discuss those baby steps to becoming a true advanced diver who's ready to step into tech.
:D
Rick

If a tank is at 1600 psi or less. Is it pretty safe from having the burst disc popping in a hot car?

It would theoreticly be ok. tank pressure changes about 5 pounds per degree

Yep, a little, but what really clutters things is the posting directly above... "Theoretically" really? The question has been answered dude!

Oh, and I guess this one is clutter too.

If I put it in the wrong spot, mods can move it. I don't care, no problem with me.

Thanks for the info!

BTW, at what psi does the disc burst?

It depends on the disk. Some tanks hold pressure to over 4000 lbs with a disk designed to accomodate that pressure. Check with the shop that sold you or rented you the tank what pressure the tank you have will accommodate.

And dont worry about the responses some people give. Its a legitamit question your seeking an answer for. I apologize some people are rude on here.

Refer to Gay-Lussac: P1/T1 = P2/T2

So if a tank with 1600 psi at 289 K (60 F) ambient temp is left in a car and the temperature rises to 578 K (581 F)then the pressure of the tank will rise to 3200 psi.

p.s. the formula will work with degrees K only

It'll work with Rankine too :D

A LDS pumped both my LP 72's to 3000PSI. After a couple of hours one burst disk blew the other never did I used the tank.
So even the LP's can take some pressure. They must be able to take more than 10% over or the + on the working pressure would be uselesss.

I had a steel 72 blow after it was pumped to 3200 and it sat in the truck all day,it was pumped to 3500 but I drained it to 3200.

In order to account for cooling it is perfectly acceptable to exceed working pressure 10% when filling . Actually I think it's 11% with a temp limit of something like 132F. The key is to not exceed the working pressure at 70F.

With all of that in mind hot storage essentially recreates the hot fill condition. If the burst disc has not been abused you should be fine.

Burst disk will go long before test pressure. Al 80, 3000 psi, 5000 psi test, burst disk will go well before 4000 psi (3500 - 3700). Steel 2475psi will go about 2700 psi. This is assuming proper disks are installed. If you do not believe this take a cylinder and pump it till the disk fails (note the fail pressure)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom