Boat crew setting kit up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once dove a boat in Tahiti and asked the "DM," a certified instructor, to NOT touch my gear. I set mine up and turned on my valve in preparation for the dive, but left the gear and went elsewhere on the boat for a while. Not too long after that, I entered the water and immediately realized my valve had been turned off...
That's why I ALWAYS inflate my BC and take two or three deep breaths before stepping into the water. (Actually, I've forgotten to turn my air on. :( But I've also turned it on, only to have a crew member turn it off just as I'm walking to the transom.)

Please ask yourself before you enter the water, when I flip over the side and my air is not on, my tank slips out, who cares that you are screwed and want to lay blame on someone. Your responsibility to stay alive is yours alone. I dive daily and since 1970 I have always done my gear myself. My children ( adults now ) do there own gear as does their Mom who also dives every day. Check your buddies gear, sure, after all he or she is your buddy. Why would you let someone fool with your inflator, octopus etc?

Attachments

• Bonaire plus_0795.JPG
    Bonaire plus_0795.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 116
OP...Don't like setting up my gear on a boat since I get sea sick. I can only go out on 1 tanks dives for the most part. Even then, if it is rough I tend to take the ride back home with my eyes closed and trying not to die.

I got my own gear and set it up...when I'm at the springs In Fl or some other shore dive local. I use rental gear while flying and like the non planned emergencies that come from it. Or at least changing gear all the time to keep one sharp.

I'm very thankful for any help the crew gives me. Wish I was not so wussified, but that is how I popped out of the vag. I even do centrifugal training to build up some sea sick tolerance. as well as Dramamine. That allows me to 'just handle' a rough 1 tank dive trip. How many of you guys do centrifugal training??

Don't touch that :no: I might BITE! This thread is one good reason I will not become a "professional diver". What makes the difference between an average dive op and a Great one is having an experienced, trained crew. The idea of going on a charter with non-divers having anything to do with gear is flat out wrong IMO. Also a Great crew would/could tell those who need the help with their gear from those who may not. Attention to detail, knowledge and mindset on safety earns my money TIP. Anything else gets a verbal one. So.. here is mine: I would have your dive op read the comments posted here. If he/they are stubborn about having things their way instead of trusting those professionals hired, then perhaps finding another operator to work for is in order. Thanks.. Safe Diving!

Please ask yourself before you enter the water, when I flip over the side and my air is not on, my tank slips out, who cares that you are screwed and want to lay blame on someone. Your responsibility to stay alive is yours alone. I dive daily and since 1970 I have always done my gear myself. My children ( adults now ) do there own gear as does their Mom who also dives every day. Check your buddies gear, sure, after all he or she is your buddy. Why would you let someone fool with your inflator, octopus etc?
Because the are my tender(s)/Assistant(s) and are hired, trained and paid for that function so that I can concentrate exclusively on the task ahead of us.

if it is rough I tend to take the ride back home with my eyes closed and trying not to die.
You've probably heard this before, but for most people closing the eyes is a recipe for exacerbating seasickness. The usual strategy is to visually fix onto the horizon or some other stationary object.

[post=3765586]*Please Read* Special Forum Rules / Terms of Service[/post]
Advanced Scuba Discussions - A forum dedicated to discussing the transitional process of migrating from the traditional recreational divng envelope into more advanced areas such as advanced nitrox and trimix diving, decompression diving, cave diving and wreck penetration diving, blackwater diving, etc. This forum isn't a place to discuss technical diving per se - that's what our technical diving forums are for - but rather to discuss those baby steps to becoming a true advanced diver who's ready to step into tech.
:D
Rick

Dontchya know, Jax ... letting someone else set up your equipment for ya is an advanced skill ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
Dontchya know, Jax ... letting someone else set up your equipment for ya is an advanced skill ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yes, I have yet to take AOW, but there must be a "pre-dive check" specialty available, isn't there? You know, a class and a dive dedicated to teaching you how to check your equipment before you enter the water? Maybe they could teach some silly mnemonics to aid the process for the memory-challenged?

That's why I ALWAYS inflate my BC and take two or three deep breaths before stepping into the water. (Actually, I've forgotten to turn my air on. :( But I've also turned it on, only to have a crew member turn it off just as I'm walking to the transom.)

Here is what I don't understand: how many tanks do you have to turn on before it sinks in what direction *on* is? If the crew is standing there turning on, turning on, turning on, oh this one turns on the other way, turning on, turning on....

Time for a new crew.

And if the crew turned it on and *you* (the generic you, not YOU you LOL) turned it off thinking it was now on, shame on you too.

Rightie tightie, leftie loosie and all of that. Shouldn't that be tested knowledge skill? (said only half in jest)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom