Hydro facility near Austin familiar with PST steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Six2Life

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a PST steel tank that needs a hydro. After doing some research it appears that there is a manufacturer-recommended alternate hydro procedure for these tanks. If this procedure is not followed the likelihood of the tank failing is much higher. Does anyone know of a hydro facility near Austin that is familiar with this procedure and will test the tank properly?

Interesting. I have six PST steel cylinders and they have all passed hydros. Can't remember the name where the LDS sends them.

check these guys out. Also ask for the + rating.
Austin, Texas
Koetter Fire Protection of Austin, LLC
16069 Central Commerce Drive
Pflugerville, TX 78660
Phone: 512-251-7888
Fax: 512-251-7848

In Dallas it is about $14.00 for the Hydro.

Simplex Grinnel
1600 Royston Lane
Round Rock, TX
(512) 634-1800

They're in Travis County, near the indoor soccer facility in Pflugerville. They 'dro-ed my tanks two years ago on site, + rating and all. They were reasonable, too!

Simplex Grinnel
1600 Royston Lane
Round Rock, TX
(512) 634-1800

They're in Travis County, near the indoor soccer facility in Pflugerville. They 'dro-ed my tanks two years ago on site, + rating and all. They were reasonable, too!

Just wanted to post a quick update with my experience with Simplex-Grinnel.

So far I have brought 2 tanks to Mark for hydro, 1 PST hp100 and a 70's era pst lp72. The hp100 was half of a set of doubles. The other tank in the set was brought to a dive shop in town for hydro and failed. Mark did the proper pre-test procedure with mine and it passed fine. The lp72 was hydro'd and passed with the "+" rating. I provided the PST REE info for the tank. I believe the price is $26-$28 per tank.

These seem to be a couple of the hydro situations where the most problems pop up so I thought it worth mentioning. If I were to be doing a simple AL80 or something I'd probably go to AAA for an $18 hydro.

Whenever I have weird cylinders to hydro (basically steels that aren't Fabers) I always tape the alternate test procedure on the outside of the cylinder. My hydro tech usually says "I know how to do these, Frank". I say that he isn't always there, and I'm just making sure....

Safeqip in North Austin off 183 and Burnett, couple day turn around, Hydro'd many tanks there.

Safequip no longer does +Hydros.
AAA Fire and Safety does, Just had some done, cost $18.

I use Simplex Grinnel. I took an aluminum tank to Safequip since they are across the street from where I work, and 4 weeks later I picked up my AL tank and took it to Simplex Grinnel for hydro. Safequip told me it would be ready the following day. The hydrotester at Simplex Grinnell know his stuff, but to be on the safe side, do what Captain Frank said, tape the instruction to the side of the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom