What gives? Closing/deleting threads, removing accounts etc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codyjp

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been absent for several reasons lately from this board but jumped in on a recent thread regarding some safety protocols and issues on a local boat. Now it turns out the entire thread has disappeared, along with all the posts.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I guess I'm at a point where I can't seem to find the reason why to bother participating in much of anything when at a whim things can disappear.

What was the reasoning behind closing/deleting the recent Marissa Dive Charters thread?

What are the steps required to change my username and depart the forum with a clean break? It seems I'm all but done here.

The thread is being evaluated by staff... no whims involved.

As for leaving, you don't need to do a thing but not sign in.

I hope the thread is cleaned up and put back in place....even if it's closed to further posting. I do think divers should be able to search and be aware of safety issues that were brought up. I know this is obviously coming from a biased poster, but I think the concerns were valid and just asking for the post to be searchable (not necessarily postable) is a pretty reasonable request.

The thread is being evaluated by staff... no whims involved. As for leaving, you don't need to do a thing but not sign in.
And the idea being we will forget about it and not notice it never comes back?

Cody go to dive matrix, liger(nicole) is still trying to make a point and they have plain told her, its no big deal!

Nicole just can not give it up. Obviously 2 months ago.

The original post led to some exchanges that were improper. The thread got pulled, so that the moderating staff could decide what to do with it. Do you guys have any idea how hard it is to wade through a thread full of personal attacks, insults, rude language and possible sockpuppets and figure out what is valid, what should be left, and what should be deleted, and who should be Pm'd about what, while the entire population of ScubaBoard is adding to the chaos? We pull highly inflammatory threads, not with the intention of hiding them, but because it takes somebody's time to sort them out, and all of us have day jobs.

Cody, you know me . . . I'm one of the moderators, and I will tell you that there are no arbitrary thread removals, and nothing is done for political or advertising reasons. There are lots of discussions among the moderators, and we don't always agree on how something should be handled, and we have to attain consensus. That takes time, and some threads remain sequestered for several days until that can be done.

Remember, the moderating staff here is all composed of volunteers -- the goal is to have a civil and polite board, where meaningful discussions of diving-related topics can take place. That WILL be the outcome -- please give us time.

Furthermore, some moderators are recusing themselves from working on the thread because they know the "players." Those of us who are outside the fray in one way or another are deciding who should work on it, how to approach it, and what actions to take. It's like untangling a fouled up reel of 150 feet of line! Please give us the benefit of the doubt and a little time before you jump on us about a mess involving far more users than there are mods to sort it all out.

It might be easier to delete and have them start anew, but behave this time. :crafty:

What are the steps required to change my username and depart the forum with a clean break? It seems I'm all but done here.

I know the answer to this one because I've seen it done several times over the past couple years. Issue a long post about how messed up things are and how you can no longer handle it, tell the world that you are leaving forever, check in on your thread every couple of hours to see who is going to miss you and wishes you would stay, get pissed off when nobody posts, get busy and don't log on for a couple of days, then say screw it and log back as if nothing ever happened.

It's like untangling a fouled up reel of 150 feet of line!

When you guys are done with that thread I need your help over here. There is however, some time sensitivity to my needs.

tangled_christmas_lights_in_box_fan2021198.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom