value of a set of twin 38s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hilo

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have the opportunity to buy a set of vintage twin 38 steel tanks with manifold. The shipping to get them to me in Hawaii will be high, and I will probably resell them eventually. (I am a "catch and release" vintage scuba collector) They are not currently hydro'd or visualed. I've heard they are rare and hard to find these days, and I'd buy them if they could resold later for at least what I pay for them including shipping. I think they look very cool.

Didn't this subject come up about a week ago?Look on page 2.Healthways deluxe reg and twin 42's.I feel any old ex Navy ex oxygen tanks are junk.Only good for display.That's just me.

I'm getting a set hydro'd right now and by the time I put the inserts back in, get a transfill whip because no LDS will fill them, refinish the bands or make new ones out of stainless and clean up the manifold, replicate the harness out of 1" webbing, I'm wondering if it's even worth it now.
They will look cool but there are easier ways to get 80 CF or air on your back.

They're probably not worth a whole lot.
Mine were free.

I have a set of twin USD 38s from 1954 (I think...I'm not at home to double check the date), and they are non-bushed standard 1/2" valved. Mine are priceless to me. I pity the poor fool who ever wrongfully condemns them!

Thanks for the replies. I checked out the thread on page 2 of this forum. The ones I may buy are not bushed, but look to have 1/2" tapered pipe thread in the tanks themselves. They look like the ones in the Healthways catalogs on VDH which were sold from 1961-1963 (based on the valve style.) I don't have access to the hydro stamp numbers on the tanks at the moment. If they are a complete Healthways setup from that time period, then they would be double 42s.

Good luck with the tanks.I wouldn't want to use a set of baby tanks.That's just me again.I pity the fool that has to.

I would never dive AL80's over these!

Attachments

• 1221091244a.jpg
    1221091244a.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 233
Nice set up.Aluminum does suck.I have one pony bottle and that's it.The rest are steel.

Back
Top Bottom