Turquoise coast in October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mesa Nan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How is the diving off the Turquoise coast in October? Is it worth a special trip from Istanbul?

-Nan

How is the diving off the Turquoise coast in October? Is it worth a special trip from Istanbul?

-Nan

Turkish coast is in total more than 8000 km. Which part are you asking about?:)

The book I have calls the western most section of Turkey's southern coast the "Turquoise Coast". Bodrum and Kas are in that area.

The book I have calls the western most section of Turkey's southern coast the "Turquoise Coast". Bodrum and Kas are in that area.

Ok, that helps.

Bodrum is in the aegean sea, directly opposite of the Greek Dodekanes islands, while Kas is in the mediteranean sea, quite close to Antalya. Both places are the top dive destinations in Turkey.
In October the water temperature is quite warm (about 24°C) and the weather is generally very nice, but you should expect the one or the other day of rain and storm. If it's not one of these bad days, diving conditions are very good at that time.
But you should be aware that both destinations are about one hour of flight away from Istanbul. Destination airport for Bodrum is Bodrum - Milas (BJV) and for Kas it's either Dalaman (DLM) or Antalya (AYT). In Istanbul departure airport for domestic flights is usually Sabiha Gökcen airport. Also you should be aware, that it's about 45 min. from Bodrum-Milas airport to Bodrum, while it's about 2-3 hours from Dalaman or Antalya to Kas.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask me. I am living in Bodrum.:D

I really like the diving in Kas, as well as the small town itself. I went there 3 times and I will go back again. It is very different from the Red Sea, Carribean or South-East Asia, but really interesting nevertheless. Rock formations in particular are spectacular.

It is true that it is a bit long to get there, but, in my opinion, worth the trip.

Turkish divers told me a lot of good on the diving in the area of Ayvalik. I don't think it is on the Turquoise coast, but it is closer to Istanbul, and they were enthusiastic about it.

Now it also depends on how long you have for your trip.

Malène

Explorer08, Malene, thanks. My time in Istanbul is pretty tight (~1week & I have to be back in time for the Marathon) so I think I will have to save Kas for another trip...

Hi Nan, I live on the Turquoise Coast and the diving here in October is excellent, though the first two weeks would be better weather-wise. Definitely worth the trip from Istanbul.

I will recommend going Saros Bay with Atlantis Scuba Store Istanbul Diving School Diving Center for one weekend.
Saros Bay is at the Aegean sea 3 hours away from Istanbul. They will pick you from your Hotel in Istanbul on friday night or saturday morning to the diving point and back to your Hotel on Sunday night. I have dived there in October and this was OK. I did a night dive though. This was shot on October 2010 on the night dive:
The instructor is marine biologist who is trained, experienced and responsible leader (with fluent english of course) and you can have answers even to your technical questions. I know him for four years and all the divers during this time were all leaving very pleased, who came from Canada, Italy, Denmark, Bahrain, Oman, England, Estonia, Bulgaria, Venezuela, Spain, and America. The main important thing for him is the divers' comfort. That's why he takes small groups. You don't do any work at all, just enjoy the dive in a very friendly atmosphere (Local divers in the group mostly are bilingual).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom