Octo Holder Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Dive Rite necklace you prefer is far superior to the Manta because it is adjustable both for tension holding the second stage so it wouldn’t come loose so easily and around the neck so it doesn’t dangle in the field of view.

Yup, exactly.. it's great! A much better solution than the Manta - I have tried those, I agree, they don't hold the reg as securely...

I do have a question about the Dive Rite necklace for you. The Web page indicates it is made from 3/8" bungee, but it looks much smaller in the photos. Is that what yours measures?

The reason I ask is because the Manta necklace rubs my lips on an Atomic second stage and measures a little over 3/8". The instructions under “make your own” necklace on your link recommends 1/8" bungee, which would be much less crowded.

Yes, I know what you mean... That must be a typo on the Divegear Express page, it certainly isn't 3/8", you can see it in my photo. I think that if I were to actually deploy it, I would just pull it out of the necklace if it was hitting my lips...

Well so far their is three for the necklace.

I use the necklace for my secondary reg but use the DiveRite holder on my octo that is attached to my pony bottle.

Last edited:
I have been using one of the lower octo holders shown below. It works quite well, allowing me to position the octo on my upper right chest. The major problem with them is that the silicone is fairly soft and subject to eventual wear and tear. I just bought the longer octo holder shown in the upper photo and will give it a try. Both versions need a wire tie to assure that they don't spring loose when the octo is not attached. These holders are sold by my LDS and come from Trident.
Octo holders.jpg

Yes, I know what you mean... That must be a typo on the Divegear Express page, it certainly isn't 3/8", you can see it in my photo. I think that if I were to actually deploy it, I would just pull it out of the necklace if it was hitting my lips...

Thanks for pointing this typo out. We have now corrected it on our website.

When I used to use a separate octo, I had the bottom style for octo holder. I never had a problem with the octo coming off it. It's all about hose management, not to mention some basic stuff like holding onto your mask, second stage, octo, gauges when you do the Giant Stride. At around $1/each, I can easily replace it once every other year without a worry.

I have been using one of the lower octo holders shown below. It works quite well, allowing me to position the octo on my upper right chest. The major problem with them is that the silicone is fairly soft and subject to eventual wear and tear. I just bought the longer octo holder shown in the upper photo and will give it a try. Both versions need a wire tie to assure that they don't spring loose when the octo is not attached. These holders are sold by my LDS and come from Trident.
View attachment 98578

Thanks for pointing this typo out. We have now corrected it on our website.

Now THAT is customer service...!

Just an aside here, I have bought a number of things from DiveGear Express, and I really think that they are terrific. Not only do they have high quality merchandise and good prices, but the Web site is amazing. There are lots and lots of helpful little charts, essays and explanations. They are far beyond most other online stores in terms of customer experience.

Interesting... well, different people have different preferences... I guess that's the point of sharing here! :)

I always found the necklace to be much more streamlined than clipping the reg to your shoulder strap, from where it has a high likelihood of getting snagged or pulled away in current. I have never had the reg come loose from the necklace in mid dive (I use this style, which is very secure).

If you do deploy the backup second stage, you don't need to leave it in the necklace mount, so lip interference shouldn't be an issue...

This link goes into the usage in some detail. Here I am using it:

View attachment 98572

Safe diving!

You have sold me on this one I think I will get me one or at least make one like in the link you gave us. Thanks.

As everyone has previously stated, an octo necklace is the best option.

I also like the necklace, although I personally don't care for the Manta product. It is a bit bulky, and needs a zip tie around the mouthpiece to keep it from slipping off. One poster mentioned surgical tubing which works well. I use bungee cord, tied together to form a slipknot loop around the mouthpiece.

When I am using my OW class rig, I use a hose clip AND a loop of bungee to hold my octo in place. The bungee is attached to the same ring that the hose clip is attached to, and loops around the mouthpiece, and comes off readily when my 'OOA' buddy pulls the second stage toward him.

Just an aside here, I have bought a number of things from DiveGear Express, and I really think that they are terrific. Not only do they have high quality merchandise and good prices, but the Web site is amazing. There are lots and lots of helpful little charts, essays and explanations. They are far beyond most other online stores in terms of customer experience.
I agree. Before I found ScubaBoard the DiveGearExpress (DiveRiteExpress then) site was a great resource for me. I devoured all the tips for eliminating "danglies," etc., and buying from them has always been a pleasure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom