Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

July 2, 2011
Bob Wentz Park
South point of sandbar entry
Surface temp 84F
Temp at depth 70F
Max Depth 77fsw
Run Time 76 minutes
Repaired some of the ridge line at 40' Viz was anywhere from 6" to 6'. Went about 30 minutes swim to South. Had placed a cookie on the line to mark a Grotto. Cookie is now missing. Please, return it to me.

July 3rd Sunny, nice great day to get wet and blow bubbles

Bob Wentz

water temp 87 degrees

Visibility down to 60 feet about 8 to 10 feet - some milky spots very short lived - awesome visibility best I have seen in 2 months

North of Scoreboard diving

Could see scoreboard laying sideways from 12 feet away and see all the way up to the grotto.

With the winds layed down this past week - the water has settled for those of us that like to see rock formations and stumps and trees and the such

Happy Fourth everyone in the swamp.

:D

July 3rd, 2011
Bob Wentz
South sandbar entry
Max Depth 60 fsw
Run Time 82 mins
Surface temp 85F
Temp at depth 79F
Viz between 40-60 feet is off and on between 1' and 10'. I went South and added line on the ridge line almost to scoreboard. On the way back I visited the grottos. I found something at depth I expected to see at 30'. It now creatively marks swim through. I also marked the other grotto again with another cookie. A "cookie" is a round piece of plastic with grooves and known as a line marker. Mine are blue on one side white on the other. Please, do not remove these markers. They are not souvenirs.
Chatted with Neil, Ian and Carol from Travis County Rescue before leaving.

Yeah, Cavemn, that's quite a marker you set up for the swim through. I won't spoil the fun by saying here what it is, but I got a laugh out of it.

Visibility today and Saturday at Bob Wentz has been outstanding between 40 - 70 feet. Usually > 10'.

Monday, July 4, 2011
CSSP in Terrell, Texas
87 degrees on the surface, 79 at thermocline (which is now at 23 feet)
Vis about 15 feet, less in training areas

Did 3 dives. Saw bass, catfish, 1 turtle, and many nesting perch with newly hatched fry darting about in the bottom of the nest.

Spring Lake, San Marcos, July 7, 2011

Temp, same
Vis, 50'+
Spring Flow, 106cfs

Went to Deep Hole to clear coontail from the northwestern end of the site. The gravel bottom was covered in silt and needs to be cleaned. Scooters would be the best way but you can do it by hand.

The cut to Arch Site is clear but pretty shallow.

They have started construction on the new visitor's center (next to the parking lot at the north end of the lake). The current best guess for the start of demolition (and the suspension of diving) is October.

Morning Lake Travis Scuba boat diving

First Dive Oasis wall 70 minutes max depth 78 feet water temp 87 degrees surface down to 60

Visibility was the best I have seen on Oasis wall in 5 years - 15 foot solid viz between 50 feet and 70 feet it was incredible to see the grottos and 4 divers exploring just amazing conditions

Found the stalagtites in a very small grotto hole, found a long grotto formation that twisted and turned all around at 70 feet

Pretty amazing and spectacular dive on lake travis

2nd dive treasure hunting starnes island much to find brought back the usual booty

Great day to dive lake travis visibility still seems to be improving in that one depth range.

Thanks Robert for another amazing day out with Lake Travis Scuba -

I left out all the fish I saw 4 foot cat fish 2 of them, perch, drum, lots of small fish and one turtle very healthy

I would add to this:

July 9, 2011
Oasis wal
Max Depth 112
Surface temp 86F
Temp at depth 63F
Viz 0-30 crap
Viz 30-40 opening to 5ft
Viz 40-55 7-10ft
Viz 55-85 12-15ft
Viz 85-112 1-2ft

Starnes Island West side
Viz 0-10 cruddy
Viz 10-20 5-7ft
Viz 20-40 7-10ft
Viz 40-62 10-12ft
Viz >62 1-2ft

Morning Lake Travis Scuba boat diving

First Dive Oasis wall 70 minutes max depth 78 feet water temp 87 degrees surface down to 60

Visibility was the best I have seen on Oasis wall in 5 years - 15 foot solid viz between 50 feet and 70 feet it was incredible to see the grottos and 4 divers exploring just amazing conditions

Found the stalagtites in a very small grotto hole, found a long grotto formation that twisted and turned all around at 70 feet

Pretty amazing and spectacular dive on lake travis

2nd dive treasure hunting starnes island much to find brought back the usual booty

Great day to dive lake travis visibility still seems to be improving in that one depth range.

Thanks Robert for another amazing day out with Lake Travis Scuba -

I left out all the fish I saw 4 foot cat fish 2 of them, perch, drum, lots of small fish and one turtle very healthy

Want to take my kids diving in Lake Travis and they only have a few dives under their belts so I want to keep it simple. With current lake levels what are the objects/platforms looking like? Anything in the 20'-60' depth range at windy point private, windy point public, or Mansfield scuba area? Or any other suggestions would be nice.

Want to take my kids diving in Lake Travis and they only have a few dives under their belts so I want to keep it simple. With current lake levels what are the objects/platforms looking like? Anything in the 20'-60' depth range at windy point private, windy point public, or Mansfield scuba area? Or any other suggestions would be nice.

For shore entry I would advise Windy Point public, Bob Wentz. The score board and some nice grotto's are at 45', pretty nice diving and a lot easier to get in the water than WP private or the dam. There is always Roberts boat The Giant Stride, you can pick many sites then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom