Maximizing depth AND time under

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're doomed...certain things you cannot change. You want to go deeper and stay longer but still within your NDL. I think one agency...not sure if it is IANTD, does offer a rec trimix course. Having said that, as the name implies, I think their max depth is 140 ft.

By the way, at this point,you have only addressed one part of the problem...yours. How about your diving buddies? Unless they equip themselves with larger tanks and take similar course...they will always be going back to the surface first as they represent the lowest denominator.

Last edited:
You should be able to extend the shallower part of the dive without increasing your nitrogen loading, but using up more air. After all there comes a point, (the floor) above which your max loaded tissue starts to decompress, so you can hang around there without going into deco.

Adam

Basically I see your question as, I want to use all my air on a deep dive but I don't want to be bored having to do a slow accent just to use the air in my tank. Get a smaller tank, you can't change the physics.

You're doomed...certain things you cannot change. You want to go deeper and stay longer but still within your NDL. I think one agency...not sure if it is IANTD, does offer a rec trimix course. Having said that, as the name implies, I think their max depth is 140 ft.

By the way, at this point,you have only addressed one part of the problem...yours. How about your diving buddies? Unless they equip themselves with larger tanks and take similar course...they will always be going back to the surface first as they represent the lowest denominator.

But he still will have to do the even longer slow boring accent.

Are you familiar w/the software 'V-Planner' ????.......Google it.....

Are you familiar w/the software 'V-Planner' ????.......Google it.....
VPlanner is not adapted to air or nitrox dives, it's adapted for Trimix dives.
so the plan is not accurate.

VPlanner is not adapted to air or nitrox dives, it's adapted for Trimix dives.
so the plan is not accurate.

This is, to the best of my knowledge, complete bunk. Where did you read this?

This is, to the best of my knowledge, complete bunk. Where did you read this?
i didn't read this
i use it, as a advanced nitrox and trimix diver, and i do regurlarly simulations

US Navy tables (i'm not familiar with)
120 fsw 25 min deco stop 8 min total ascent time 12 min, so, around 37 min

Suunto Dive Planner 1.0.0.3 (include in SDM 3.1)
120 fsw 25 min, total dive 51 min

V-Planner
120 fsw 25 min, total dive 62 min

is V-Planner accurate for doing Air Deco ?

Any nitrox that you use will increase you NDL. I mean you can use 28% with a MOD of 155fsw on a 1.6 PPO2 or if you are really wanting to be able to do your 170fsw, then back off your mix to 26% for a 170fsw MOD. Both of these options will increase your NDL and still be safe to dive. If you are willing to keep it a little shallower then you can use a higher percent to get even more time before deco.

I mean you can use 28% with a MOD of 155fsw on a 1.6 PPO2 or if you are really wanting to be able to do your 170fsw, then back off your mix to 26% for a 170fsw MOD. Both of these options will increase your NDL and still be safe to dive.

While it may be "safe" I don't think you will find many divers planning on a pO2 of 1.6 at 155fsw or deeper. Most will use 1.4 (or less) as a limit.

Back
Top Bottom