shutter button sticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highlandfarmwv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Have had a problem with the shutter button on my DC1000 not coming back up at depth. Does anyone have any suggestion about what I can do to prevent this. Once I get back out of the water, it had always come back up. I have lost many on potential shots due to this recurring problem.

Had the same issue with my Mini shortly after I purchased it and contacted Karl at SeaLife and he replaced the camera. (That was about 4 years ago)

Last month contacted Karl again because the shutter button seemed to be "sticky". He said to send it to him and he would see if he could clean it up. Got it back and it works great. Must have been a little "gunked up".

Snagel

Yup, this issue has come up before on this forum. Do a search and ye shall find. Bottom line is that it is a well-known issue, apparently a design flaw, and if you take it back to the dealer, they will replace it with a newer one that hopefully won't have the problem. I just got my 3rd housing, and so far, so good! However, the problem seems to occur after about 40 dives or so, so time will tell if the issue is really fixed.

Well, sure enough, after about 40 dives on my 3rd housing, the shutter button jammed down and wouldn't release, early in a shark dive! Again! Bummer!

Since I was far from home and still had lots of diving to do, I tried putting some silicone grease in the shutter button mechanism inside the housing. This seemed to do the trick, as I was able to resume using the camera for several more dives without any problems.

You should lube the push buttons from the inside with liquid silicone food grade.
At least for canon housings, the push buttons can be disassembled from the inside to clean and lube the shafts and o-rings.

Sea Life changed out the housing. Looking forwaqrd to trying it out later this month. Many thanks to them.

Well, sure enough, I had the same issue yet again, with the shutter button jamming down and staying down during a dive. This is my 4th housing. I found from past experience, you can get more life out of the housing by putting some silicone lube in the mechanism, and working the shutter button repetitively while immersed in fresh water, but eventually it will jam again. What a pain!

Apparently the manufacturer will replace it with a D1200, hopefully this will resolve the issue once and for all.

Well, sure enough, I had the same issue yet again, with the shutter button jamming down and staying down during a dive. This is my 4th housing. I found from past experience, you can get more life out of the housing by putting some silicone lube in the mechanism, and working the shutter button repetitively while immersed in fresh water, but eventually it will jam again. What a pain!

Apparently the manufacturer will replace it with a D1200, hopefully this will resolve the issue once and for all.

I had the same problem and they replaced the DC1000 with a DC1200. I'm not sure I can charge it, a quick look found no port for the DC1000 charger. Did anyone getting a DC1200 have a issue with the charger?

There is no charging in the camera itself witht he DC1200, requires the battery to be pulled from the camera to charge.

Can be a wear and tear issue. It's important after every dive to submerge the unit in fresh water for a a few second and press all the buttons. To clear the saltwater and build up. So once it dries there are no saltwater crystal build up.

If cleaning and rinsing is not working. Send to repair. Upon return maintain it thoroughly...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom