NC dive op recommendation for PADI courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I posted a two-part question in the Basic Scuba Discussion branch a week or so ago. The first part was whether the PADI Deep Diver course makes sense for me, given the circumstances--including that I'm looking for something educational to do for a day or so while my wife takes the Rescue course (3 days, if I recall). The second part, and the reason I'm cross-posting here, is an idea I had to make a road trip from Atlanta to NC to do Deep Diver. My wife and I dive the Keys a bit but have never dived NC, and my thought is that maybe diving in the less-than-perfect conditions of the Atlantic might enhance our experience with Rescue and/or Deep, not to mention give us an opportunity to see a cool wreck or two. The U-352 has been on our wish-list a long time, for example.

Original post is here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...i-deep-diver-specialty-course-worthwhile.html

Some of the replies I got over there suggested that it might be worthwhile if I (re-)took the Rescue course WITH my wife INSTEAD of taking the Deep course while she takes Rescue. Either way, the replies stressed the importance of a good instructor who goes the extra mile. So my question here is mostly about recommendations for a dive op and/or instructor in NC that might fit the bill. Any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated.

IMHO: Rescue Diver is a much more worthwhile and applicable course than taking the Deep Diver course.

My recommendation would be Lee Moore at Discovery Diving in Beaufort if you're in the area.

If you are near the other end of NC, I'ld recommend Barry Burton at Smoky Mountain Divers in Kingsport, TN.

Thanks for the rec of Lee Moore, rlskill1. Beaufort might be good. As for the Rescue course, no doubt. I'm intrigued by the idea of taking Rescue again as a refresher and opportunity to take it with my wife, but at the same time I wonder whether Deep Diver wouldn't go right to the heart of my current difficulties that I described in the other thread. Dilemma.

Any other recommendations for coastal NC to take these courses? Discovery Diving in Beaufort does not offer them very frequently--Rescue is once in August, and Deep is once in October. I suspected that finding a good instructor whose schedule meshes with ours was not going to be easy. We may have to look at Key Largo shops, despite our reasoning (see above and in original thread) for looking to NC for this.

Thanks for the rec of Lee Moore, rlskill1. Beaufort might be good. As for the Rescue course, no doubt. I'm intrigued by the idea of taking Rescue again as a refresher and opportunity to take it with my wife, but at the same time I wonder whether Deep Diver wouldn't go right to the heart of my current difficulties that I described in the other thread. Dilemma.

You can't go wrong with Lee Moore through Discovery as already mentioned. Sometimes they'll try to get another class scheduled if you show the interest and they are able to sign up a few more.

I didn't read the other thread but the vast majority of people here don't bother with deep diver certifications even if many of our wrecks are below 100 ft. I took this class when I was younger and dumber (is that even possible?). My impression: The PADI deep cert is not really that valuable. The course in a nutshell: You get narced, you breath more gas, the water is colder, your wet suit compresses a lot, colors change, and you are more likely to get yourself into decompression trouble. OK, now you are a "Deep Diver". Read up on gas planning, learn what to do if you find yourself in deco and then go do some deeper diving.

If you really want to take a class, have you considered a wreck diver certification instead? When taught well this is a much more useful class than deep diver. Both Discovery and Olympus offer excellent recreational wreck diver classes.

You might also look into course offerings through Aquatic Safaris in Wilmington as it will be closer to you and they are top notch.

joeforbroke, in the other thread I explained that I have anxiety over diving "deep" and want to take the course so I can work through it with an instructor. I'm sure my issues are a combination of psychological and narcosis, and it's my understanding that there may be ways people have developed to deal with this. I couldn't care less about racking up another certification card. I'm sure Wreck Diver is a fine course. I don't care what the course is called, so long as it accomplishes what I need it to. Heck, I'd be satisfied to find a qualified instructor who would help me without calling it a "course."

Thanks for the tip on Olympus and Aquatic Safaris. Doesn't look like Discovery Diving's schedule will be able to accommodate us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom