Best practical dive vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is with great interest hat we've watched, over the last year, a baffling trend in Northern California: apparently, the prefered Technical Diver's vehicle is the Prius. Dubs, stages, scooters, X-table and all.

As one of those NorCal Prius owners, I'll just say that I am continually amazed at just how much stuff I can fit in the back of that thing. Plus, 48mpg to Monterey and back makes me a happy diver. :D

Don C. deserves the credit for my conversion though - if I hadn't seen how much gear he comfortably fit in the back of his Prius, I probably wouldn't have thought to get one.

I have three, well, Toyota 4 door 06 TRD Tacoma with cap and many modifications, 07 Jeep Wrangler 2 door also with lift, mods etc and of course my little Boston Whaler Outrage or my Novurania Cancuro inflatable. Or, purchase an airline ticket to someplace warm, that works too.

N

2010 Ford F 250 Extended Cab., Mileage 15-16. Hauls enough for 5 persons and after what it cost for scuba gear and training does the price of gas even enter into it? Enjoy life and don't sweat the small stuff.

Previous vehicle was a Ford Explorer Sport Trac...2 X 4/4 X4. Could sit 5 plus a four foot polymer, drainable box and lockable tailgate and box top. External tie down points allowed the drying of various of BC, BP, wetsuits, dry suits. Tail gate once opened was ideal to don on and off tanks. Great utility vehicle to support fishing, hunting and diving but fairly hard on gas. Became the victim of a canadian winter road accident.

Present vehicle, 2009 Ford Escape V6 AWD. Can accommodate 3 divers plus equipment (4 X singles + 1 X double). With two divers, can accommodate divers, equipment, wetsuits and drysuits, 4 X singles, 1 X double, luggage, electric cooler and two golf sets...:cool2:

Other thing to consider... have a towing hitch installed and acquire a small lockable enclosed trailer such as this...http://www.colonycargo.com/resource/George White 001.jpg or this...http://wellscargo.com/wellscargo-trailers/mpt-multi-purpose-trailers/gallery/ to haul diving equipment.

Last edited:
Yeah im still thinking along the lines of a honda element/crv, Toyota rav4, Xb, subaru wagon, VW wagon, chevy HHR or ford flex. Our dive areas here dont permit a trailer and im not getting another boat for a few years, so hitch is minimal benefit other than keys trips

Our Jeep Grand Cherokee has fit 21 tanks, 7 full sets of gear, and weights, plus 2 people.

My Mercedes CLK 230 can fit 7 tanks and gear for 4. She is not amused, but she will fit it.

We just got a new Dodge Nitro. It will fun to see how it does. I expect some good things from it.

Yeah im still thinking along the lines of a honda element/crv, Toyota rav4, Xb, subaru wagon, VW wagon, chevy HHR or ford flex. Our dive areas here dont permit a trailer and im not getting another boat for a few years, so hitch is minimal benefit other than keys trips
I can see your thinking regarding wanting all wheel drive. I'd suggest going down to your local dealership and seeing how much gear you can pack into the back of a rav or CRV.Ive got a late 2000's crv in stock and it isn't as roomy as you think it is. I dunno if the subaru product sells over there but if it does have a look at a legacy grand wagon--the 3.0l version.
All wheel drive with some ground clearance. Nice to drive and will swallow a tonne of gear.

I have a Passat wagon V6. With the seats down in the back, I can fit a million things and room for me to crash out for the night. Mileage could be better due to the V6, but I can get around 26-28 on the highway. Which is nothing compared to the Prius, so get one of those.

If you do shore diving and often suit-up at your vehicle, you'll come to love a fold-down tailgate. It makes a great bench for tanks and gear.

Likewise, anything that you can hose-out afterward is especially handy.

You might also check out the new F-150's with the ECOboost engines. I know the mileage is a little lower than what you want, but you will have a ton of room and it can throw a good sized trailer on and not have a problem towing it as well. This is what I am looking for my next dive vehicle. Right now I am using a 2000 Chevy Blazer, it works but is awfully easy to get it over loaded when you start throwing gear into it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom