Theft from cars while shore diving Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkpix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

OK, this may be a touchy subject, but forwarned is forarmed I always say. (Well, not always) Our last shore diving excursion was to Bonaire. Common practice there is never leave you car locked, leave windows down so nobody is tempted to break the windows for access. We never bring much with us when we are shore diving
anywhere, but on Bonaire we had sunglasses stolen, and the contents of our car was "gone through" regularly.
The theft of the sunglasses was just a bother, but it was sort of freaky wondering what anybody might have done to our lunch while we were underwater. It seems that the thieves were not interested in stealing extra tanks which was at least a good thing.

I'm assuming (there's that awful word again!) that things will be about the same on the Big Island. Are just the "normal" precautions enough, or is there a new set of rules for out there?

Thanks for any input.

I've heard of tank thefts at the end of the road in Puako a couple of times over the years, and one lock popping breakin at the parking lot of White Sands (La Aloa) beach parking lot once. It probably has happened more, but it's not that common. The one at White Sands (next to the Mile 4 marker dive) surprised me. I think all left gear in plain sight.

I've heard of more dive and camera gear thefts at South Point (doesn't surprise me at all), the Hapuna Beach parking lot, and spots along the highway where people have walked in to off road beaches. None of those were diving at the time, but admitted they left gear in plain sight. I haven't done shore stuff regularly in about 5 years, but prior to that I shore dove up and down the west side frequently for several years and never had a break in, but I didn't keep stuff visible.

The east side is failry notorious for thefts of valuables from tourist vehicles, don't know how bad it really is in reality.

I live near South Point, I take what I'm going to use and don't leave a whole lot lying about in plain sight. I've never had any problem.

I don't think there is a "formula". Never had a prob on the Big Island, taking normal precautions; i.e. leaving nothing in sight and no valuables. On Oahu, I've left my doors unlocked and still got the locks punched...go figure... Basically, I bring the absolute minimum and everything goes in the water with me on a necklace inside my suit. Phones are a prob; no "watertight" box ever was absolutely. But still, I'll double-ziploc and box the thing and that usually works; a few drops might dribble in but haven't got past the baggies yet.

When I was on Oahu, I left my Jeep unlocked and I crossed out my address on the registration. I had heard stories of guys getting the address off the registration and later having their houses burglarized. :shocked2:

Good reason not to put dive stickers on automobile

The risk to "tourist - looking" vehicles may be higher than to "local - looking" vehicles, but remains relatively low overall.

I live in Hilo (East Hawaii), shore dive exclusively, and all of my other recreational activities are ocean-related, so our family vehicles spend LOTS of time parked near the ocean.

I have had exactly ZERO vehicle break-in's in 40 years. Could I have one next time I go diving? Sure!! But I think the risk is over-stated.... but sure, there is always a risk.

Use good judgement, don't bring "stuff" you do not need for the dive, leave valuables in the hotel / at home, don't leave anything in plain sight, etc. Don't look or act like a juicy "target".

I lock my cars, and "hide" the keys.

Have fun, and don't worry too much about it.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom