Best practical dive vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think your best bet is a station wagon, Like a Subaru Outback/Impreza or an audi A4 avant or something similar. You get the mileage of a car and the holding capacity closer to a van's

I have a 2004 Mazda 3 hatch back that works pretty well. But if you put more than 4 or 5 tanks in it (and the associated gear), it really starts getting a bit bogged down. Diving for two was perfect. Milage is decent at 28-29 MPG (I 'm REALLY annoyed that I just can't quite get to 30 MPG at least once!). Apparently the new 2012 models are getting reworked so the mileage is going up finally.

My wife has VW Jetta sport wagon TDI that would be great. Lot's of storage room, MPG is in the 40-50 range, kinda sporty-ish (okay it's kind of a mom car too, but don't tell my wife that). And heated seats are the bomb! I never thought I would want them in Texas, but in long trips they are really nice, and warming up after a cold dive... man, makes me want to take it to CA just to try it out!

Chris

I would also recomend a Subaru Outback Wagon. I can comfortably haul myself and my son's gear and not have to worry about gear shifting or have my rearward view blocked. The AWD and high clearance is a plus for access to unimproved shore sites. You should also check out the Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. It is a hatch back version of Impreza but with the additional offroad clearance of the Outback Wagon. They both share the same engine and drivetrain.

I've got an Isuzu Rodeo, and I love the space, and the mileage is OK for a 3.5 V6, (17-19 city, 22-25 freeway), but I do sometimes long for a pickup. I need a vehicle I can tow a ski boat with, (my other passion), so a SUV or truck is a must. I LONG for a '96-'97 3/4 ton Ford longbox with the 7.3 Powerstroke, but then again, the Isuzu is paid for, which is a big deal.

I love my mini Cooper clubman but at the rate I was going, I was going to drive it out of warranty about 15 months after I bought it. It was also a bit small for two people with doubles, drysuits, etc. (although i'm not saying it couldn't be done).

I got a lot of great ideas for a second vehicle but ended up with the ford escape... Ford has 5 years 0% interest right now and i got a smoking deal bc I really was ready to walk away. I wanted something in which I could build a rack for my doubles (to leave them) as I've gouged my leg twice on the nuts. (and yes I realize that is a rather large purchase of an equipment solution for a skills problem but it solves the warranty issue on my Cooper as well <g>)

One of the reasons I picked the escape, in addition to the 0% financing, was that I could get a pretty stripped down model and the mileage... So far I've averaged over 26 mpg.

I have a 1991 toyota truck with an extended cab and that fits everything in the cab and if I had more gear and was on the tech side it would fit everything in the bed. I think a newer 1980's to early 1990's toyota van would be perfect with it gutted out in the back with tank straps and a bed liner paint on the floor. That would haul a lot of gear plus look ugly so no one would touch it.

Honda Element. Hands down.
- The rubber interior makes clean-up a breeze;
- There's all sorts of groovy yet unobtrusive metal attachment points for bungee to secure your tanks;
- There's space for four recreational divers and their kit, or two tech divers on a road trip (we've carried a rebreather, bailout bottles, my doubles and deco bottle together with gearboxes etc with room to spare), thanks to those awesome seats that fold up against the walls of the vehicle;
- It has a fairly low environmental footprint during the construction process (the older ones were better than the newer ones, I think); and
- Its highway mileage isn't that egregious (24 mpg, I think).

We love ours, to the point where we won't hesitate to buy another when we move back to the east coast in a month. Do it. You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Im liking the element a bit and the subaru impreza wagon, I didnt think of the mazda 3 and was thinking of one of the VW wagons, still shopping though. I know that i have 2 years of school left so driving almost 100 miles a day I would be better with a car or sport wagon. The xB I have been impressed with so I think anything with similar space would be equally as impressive and not as square looking.

A small trailer isnt a bad idea, but ramp parking can be a pain in the neck esp with a trailer. We dont really have much shore diving here to venture towards so AWD isnt a major factor

Probably my next vehicle will be a Subaru Forester ... all the advantages of the Element, but with a higher payload capacity. The one drawback to the Element is that although it can handle heavier loads in terms of space, and the engine's peppy enough, anything over about 700 lbs exceeds payload capacity. Two divers and a week-end's worth of gear can go well over 1000 lbs ... especially if you're tech diving or camping. Puts a strain on the engine ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Late Model (2008+) Ford Escape w/ 4 cyl and automatic. Easy room for 2 sets of doubles, Deco bottles, and gear for two technical divers. Gets 25-26 mpg regardless of whether you are tooling down the interstate at 70+ or driving in town.

Sits up higher than small station wagons so better visibility. Good room for 4 people if you aren't hauling dive gear.

Keypad entry on the door. Never have to worry about what to do with your keys, you can just lock them up in the car. Best invention ever for divers. All three of my Fords have this and I love it.

Relatively inexpensive, comapred to other small SUV's. You can get bran new 2011's for under $20K.

Personally, I like this way better than a pickup, which is what I used before. Main reason is that I can set up all my gear the night before and leave it safely in the car, as opposed to assembling everything when I arive at the dive site. Obviously, if you have a locking cover on your truck bed, you can still do this, but I use my truck for hauling large loads (and gooseneck trailers) so a locking bed cover is not feasible.

Only downsides I noticed in the last 2 years of ownership are that the factory Continental tires are really noisy after ~ 30K miles of wear. It's also not a Mustang GT in regards to acceleration, but it's not a Smart car either. You can always get the V6 if you think its too slow, but your mileage will onl be about 20 mpg or slightly less.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom