Problem with an Inon D-2000 Type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, this is really confusing now. :shocked2: I guess I have to try with and without the magnet and see what works for me..

I had similar problems with my G11 and the D2000. They went away when I installed the magnet in the strobe.

I have a similar issue , not with the fiber optic part, but the STTL/TTL setting while using a Canon S95. I was told I could have the flash slaved via the sync cord, usiing the STTL etting if I recall right. My wife is on a trip right now, and taking lessons, she says they told her the D2000 will not sync with the cameras flash. I did some testing before she left and it seemd too work fine on both shutter priority, and apature priority for even macro shots. She wrote me and said she is being told to do the manual settings for the strobe for every shot. Needless to say, she is not a very happy camper right now.. Who is right? Can a D2000 adjust it's output via the cameras flash? or are we still stuck with doing it manually still, like our old Fuji F810 was. I don't understand myself
She said they have her using program mode.

Of course the D2000 can adjust itself in sTTL mode to the camera flash's output but in some modes, the camera can't shoot in TTL (If I remember correctly) and that may be what they are telling her. Some miscommunication going on somewhere.
Bill

I am just not understanding why some people think one way and others think the other. It makes sense, it would work based on my readings, but I keep being told by foks who have pretty damn good credentials for underwater photography. I have no idea why, but I do know my wife is kinda a point and short person, so this is completly ovewhelming for her.New camera, new instructor, new locations, conflicting info Etc. I hope to put her at ease some, but she does not believe a mere mortal like me. and we are half a world apart currently to boot. Thanks for any one who wants to add thier two cents worth.

Well, see, there's a basic conflict there. Somebody who only wants to do P/S shooting simply won't have the patience to adjust a strobe (at least in my experience teaching u/w photo). Even when everything is "automated" as you wife seems to want it, adjustments are inevitable. If all she wants to do is point and shoot, then maybe she should just take the strobe off and use a filter, like the Magic Filter, set the speed to 1/125 on S mode and go point the camera at some subjects and have fun with it instead of suffering a bunch of frustration.

I couldn't agree more. But she seems to have trouble getting the concepts down, even though she has been through a few classes prior to this one.
She decided to take this class with a few female friends in order to get it down better. I spent a lot of time patiently talking to her about apatures, -stops Depth of field, shutter speeds, back scatter, white balance, you name it, she just gets overwhelmed. I find she does better getting trained by someone other than her husband, based on past disasters I have survived. Same thing for snow skiing and backing trailers. Guys, back me up on this one. Never teach your spouse anything, let someone else do it. It's safer.

Buy her a video camera. They are easier to master than still cameras. Then all she has to do is set the white balance and press the button.

My D2000 arrived last week. Paired it with my G11/FIX housing. No magnet, Av, and the strobe simply works. No fuss. Have done about a dozen dives with it. Open water and pitch black wreck penetration.

Back
Top Bottom