Here's how to strip aluminum tanks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I decided to strip two tanks of its paint before dropping them off for a VIP. I'm glad I did this. Photos are narrated with comments under each photo.

P7020818.jpg

Here are the materials I used for stripping my old scuba tanks. Not pictured is a set of protective glasses and multiple pairs of latex gloves.

P7020819.jpg

I didn't find any aircraft strippers, so I used this one.

P7020820.jpg

Tank #1. It's a '95 Catalina AL80. Its last hydro was in 2010 and VIP is expired. It is in extremely poor cosmetic condition - the paint falls off all the times with flakes.

P7020823.jpg

Base of the AL80 to illustrate its condition.

P7020827.jpg

I scraped the tank BEFORE I applied the stripper, this was the result. I get this kind of flakes every time I mounted my BP/W on this tank. I'm so glad to get rid of this problem.

P7020831.jpg

This is about 15 minutes after I applied the stripper for the first time.

P7020843.jpg

98% of the finish came off so easily. There's some remaining paint that I had to apply a 2nd coat of stripper to get rid of.

P7020844.jpg

All of the paint scraped off without effort.

P7020848.jpg

Done with 2nd coat of stripper. Waiting for the stuff to do its magic.

P7020849.jpg

WHY THE HECK IS MY LEG BURNING!?!?!!

Turns out that a small drop of stripper landed on my left leg. It burned like hell. I put my leg under the water for a solid 3-4 minutes and it was fine. Left a mark too.

P7020853.jpg

All done with the tank!!! It looks like a cow with the shiny metal under the stripped paint and the areas that were already exposed to saltwater.

P7020859.jpg

Tank #2. This is a '98 Luxfer AL80 tank. Last hydro was in 2010 and VIP expired. The paint on it is not original, it was rattle-canned white by the previous owner. It was terrible cosmetically, but I never had any issues with it such as flaking paint. Since I was stripping my yellow one, I thought why not this one too.

P7020863.jpg

Stripper doing it's magic.

P7020864.jpg

Stripper doing it's magic.

P7020869.jpg

This was what it looked after the 1st attempt was done. It took me 3 MORE attempts to remove all the paint. This tank was very stubborn letting its paint go.

P7020874.jpg

Both tanks all done!! Time to drop it off at the local dive shop for VIP.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! They look rejuvenated! Hope they pass hydro & VIP, good luck!

Happy & safe diving!

There's no reason why they won't pass hydro (won't need it till 2015 anyways) or VIP. I've been using those tanks for years.

I can't see the pictures. All I see is a repeated cartoon image of a melting ice cube encasing a frog with text that says "Domain Unregistered; To view Register at bit.ly/imageshack-domain

I was interested in looking at what you did, but I'm not willing to go register or whatever to see the images. Can you post them as attachments?

Pics came through for me fine. I just did this with an al tank as well, used Klean strip as well but the spray on can instead.

I'll bet it's a copyright thing where imageshack blocks viewing by non-US-based IPs. Can you post the images as attachments rather than through imageshack?

Nice job,

I did the same with my steel 72s....both were given to me. I think AL tanks look just fine unpainted as do zinc coated steel tanks.

used Klean strip as well but the spray on can instead.

I live in a community and cars were parked right next to my driveway, I can't take the risk of spray hitting other cars so I opted for the brush method.

I'll bet it's a copyright thing where imageshack blocks viewing by non-US-based IPs. Can you post the images as attachments rather than through imageshack?

I rehosted the pics elsewhere for you. They should work now.

I rehosted the pics elsewhere for you. They should work now.
Thanks. I can see them now. Very interesting.

stupid questions:
Will that stuff remove the galvanized stuff from a steel tank?
If yes
What do you do to re galvanize?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom