Aurora July 11th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skierbri10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok I haven't been diving much lately and I have done all of my diving in Hawaii. Now, I have been in CO for a bit and my buddy is getting me over to Aurora on the 11th. Would be cool to see some of the people on this board there.
I do have a few questions. I am not expecting clear water or warm temps. Though recent reports seem good. :) what should I expect? What is the recommended wetsuit mm here? Any important tips for taking the altitude into account? Thanks Brian

If you do show up I will be a tall guy, my buddy is tall also. His wife will be there too. Come say hey.

When we dived a couple of days ago, the water temperature was in the low to mid 60s, depending upon the depth. I was in a dry suit and was plenty warm. Another member of our group was in a 3/2 with full foot fins (thus no warm booties). I personally would not have done that dive with so little wet suit. He was OK for the first dive, but even after a pretty long surface interval, he was cold on the second dive.

Everyone is different. I have a friend who would do that dive in a shorty. I have other friends who use a 7mm in 75 degree water and even warmer. I have what I would consider to be a medium level of cold tolerance, and if I were diving wet at Aurora, I would want a 7mm.

A hood makes a huge difference, IMO. I didn't use one when I was using my dry suit, but I would give it real consideration using a wet suit.

As for altitude, you won't get much deeper than 35 feet. If you use the normal PADI system of adjusting for altitude, your maximum depth should therefore be planned as if it were 50 feet. If you are using a PADI RDP and calculating a square profile, you will have a maximum bottom time of 80 minutes for your first dive. That is an extremely conservative accounting for altitude, so I would say you don't really have to worry about it at those depths.

This is a good place to practice your navigation skills. Take a compass heading on the buoy that marks the nose of the airplane and see if you can hit it. If you get past 30 feet of depth, you missed.

I second what John said. I'll add that for someone coming from tropical waters, you'll probably want to start with the thickest wet suit you have (or can rent). I'm not sure I would go out and buy one specifically for Aurora though. I dived it in 7mm before I got my dry suit, and wasn't too cold, but I have a tolerance for cold. I dived it wet (because the new seals leak) and wasn't bothered when BigBubbaJ and I were there 2 weeks ago.

I would expect the visibility to decrease from what we had, if for no other reason than I've never seen it that good before.

Welcome to Colorado!

Well, looks like we might be going to Chatfield instead and that looks to be warmer. I grew up surfing in So Cal and that water is chilly. I think I am renting a 5 or 7 mm....so I should be ok. lol

Chatfield is generally very silted/mucky.

If you love near zero vis and 15' of water this may be the place for you.

Aurora is a PITA to dive but imo generally better than chatfield.

Chatfield can be OK if you are there on a day when there aren't 4 classes of OW students rototilling the bottom. July 11 will be such a day.

Thanks guys, I guess I put on some weight and the dive shop didn't really have a good fitting wetsuit for me. lol oh well, Since the reports are that Chatfield is fairly warm right now, I think I will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom