Cuan Law cancellation - be forewarned when you book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my business I work with many live-aboard dive operators around the world. I've worked very closely with the owners of Cuan Law for many years. They are one of the BEST RUN live-aboard operations that I've had the pleasure to know. I've been on the boat three times and each trip was better than the last. They run a top notch operation and I highly recommend them and their beautiful boat.

The owners of Cuan Law are neither greedy or deceptive. In fact, I've found them to be some of the most fair and honest people I do business with. They are running a business and have to make business decisions that will keep them in business. I'm sure their cancellation policies are no different than any other live-aboard trying to make a living in this industry and economy.

If someone makes the decision to purchase non-refundable or fee-for-changes airline tickets after having been told that the trip could possibly cancel because it was not full, then they have nobody to blame but them self. If someone buys trip insurance without knowing what they are covered for, it sounds to me like they need to re-think their policies.
One "greedy" aspect to the Cuan Law policies is that, once YOU commit, the Cuan Law can cancel at ANYTIME, and they are not bound by any minimum or maximum number of days. In other words, they could cancel up to the last minute if they so chose. Because I was concerned about the cancellation policy (granted, I was concerned about them cancelling the day before departure, leaving me with little options), I did communicate with them quite a bit to understand how they run their operation and what to expect in terms of the policy. Consistent with our conversations, I did trust they would use their good faith efforts on both ends - I trusted that they would not cancel at the last minute and I trusted that they would use the October conferences to market the open positions. I understand from other operators that I met while diving in Hawaii in September that, based on their experience, the October conference was highly likely to result in meeting the 8 person minimum-- consistent with what the folks of the Cuan Law had told me in August. In my mind, Cuan Law failed to act in a commecially reasonable manner by cancelling out 3 months in advance and before trying to market at the conference.

So, enforcing a strict no cancellation policy on its customers, but not even adopting a reasonable cancellation policy on its end re min/max days that they could cancel, in my mind, is greedy. Not acting in a commecially reasonable manner by failing to market the trip at least through the time period indicated is just bad business.

In the end, I'll just take my business elsewhere.

We did a week on the Cuan Law and were extremely dissappointed. Many issues with the crew and passengers. We wrote a letter to the company and never heard from them. The Aggressor boats have been much more satisfying. You may find this to be a good thing!!!

We did a week on the Cuan Law and were extremely dissappointed. Many issues with the crew and passengers.

What kind of issues did you have with the passengers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom