No longer about the features

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJetDriver69:
Folks,

There is a rumor that work is afoot to re-do the test under more "realistic" conditions, whatever that might mean. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not. I certainly hope that it is!

We just need more information on this subject!!!! :crossbone

Independant tests are being done in the USA next week to see for sure what is happening in a real loop. Also battery box tests are currently under way as well as analysis on both sides of the Atlantic.

From this I assume that if these tests on a real loop confirm that there is a significant problem then the fallback position will be a new (sealed?) battery box that is now being tested.

Either way from a marketing perspective I think changing the battery box regardless of the findings might be a wiser move.

Personnaly I hope the tests show there is no significant problem (as Ive been breathing from it for the last 2 years!) AND the battery box is still changed

DrMike:
Independant tests are being done in the USA next week to see for sure what is happening in a real loop. Also battery box tests are currently under way as well as analysis on both sides of the Atlantic.

Either way from a marketing perspective I think changing the battery box regardless of the findings might be a wiser move.

Personnaly I hope the tests show there is no significant problem (as Ive been breathing from it for the last 2 years!) AND the battery box is still changed

Dr. Mike, et al,

It looks as if there IS confirmation of up-coming tests. I agree with you, Mike! I've been breathing on mine for over three years now. Good results would make me feel much more comfortable, but you are right, in that they still need to change it.

ronccr:
simply stated, you have 2 choices..

a - dive a rig with batteries off gassing into the loop that the navy states as critical (NOT a good choice)

b - dive a rig that does not have batteries off gassing into the loop ( a very good choice)

Navy states in testing it's bad to breath off gassing from a battery and have the battery in the loop.... There is nothing in battery off gassing that is helpful to the human body so why temp fate... We are not talking about NASA engineering, we're stating BASIC rebreathers engineering 101....

regarding electronics underwater - smart diver always assumes failure and is prepared for it.. personally I prefer a backup that does not require a battery or electronics. A diver should be well trained and versed in all methods of bailout / backup and diver skill, to fly manual is a simple task and does not requores electronics.

Cheers
R

cheers
R

Ron, as in Ron Scorese, the guy in the photo with the red Exhibitor badge?

Folks,

There is an interesting discussion in process on another board about the features of the Meg versus the Prism versus the Inspiration.

One writer had a suggestion about an "improvement" to his (AFAIK) Meg which would make it into an Inspiration.

Here is his suggestion and my reply:

Originally Posted by weenie
This is like if I would attach a shovel to my rig and call it an Inspiration...

Self:

Fool! You didn't specify that the shovel is to be attached on the "right" side, point down! You know better than that! Abase yourself and grovel!!

It is obvious that you are a "STROKE DIC"!
(Society of Technical Risk-Optimizing Karst Explorers Doing It Correctly) !!!

GI3 (God Incarnated for the 3rd time) will blast and shrivel your soul where you stand!!!

BigJetDriver69:
Folks,

There is an interesting discussion in process on another board about the features of the Meg versus the Prism versus the Inspiration.

One writer had a suggestion about an "improvement" to his (AFAIK) Meg which would make it into an Inspiration.

Here is his suggestion and my reply:

Originally Posted by weenie
This is like if I would attach a shovel to my rig and call it an Inspiration...

Self:

Fool! You didn't specify that the shovel is to be attached on the "right" side, point down! You know better than that! Abase yourself and grovel!!

It is obvious that you are a "STROKE DIC"!
(Society of Technical Risk-Optimizing Karst Explorers Doing It Correctly) !!!

GI3 (God Incarnated for the 3rd time) will blast and shrivel your soul where you stand!!!

P.S.---Pictures of the proper attachment point for the shovel are available on both Diver Mole's site, and Jan Willem Bech's!

Cheers!

Yep, I really find the "my kit is better than your kit" discussions really aggravating. The gap is very narrow between units and its more about training and skill that your particular choice in gear. These things will never be "idiot proof" and there lies the problem.......any idiot can buy one but not any idiot can survive one. Does'nt take much to do as your told with an instructor and get a card. Lack of disipline & poor decision making after training is what gets guys killed.

Hi,
Firstly I would like to say that the battery in the loop doesn't seem sensible and that if you are not happy about a piece of kit, then why buy and dive it?

Secondly a bit about carcinogens...
Cancer is a disease that has a statistical likelyhood of affecting you if you are exposed to various chemicals/radiation. This means that you could absorb one drop of benzene and develop lukemia some 20 years lator, or you could be lucky and wash your hands in it every day and never suffer. (Incidently this practice wasn't uncommon for chemists in days gone by..) What is important though is that the more you are exposed to a carcinogen, the greater the statistical likelyhood is that you will develop cancer, thus they are best avoided wherever possible.
Interestingly enough, (at least for me as a professional chemist), some things are very carcinogenic, such as benzene and a number of polyaromatic hydrocarbons, PAH's, whilst others are not very, or the jury is still out on them. Luck is on your side for those of you with batteries in the loop as DME is not a very nasty chemical as these things go, though I wouldn't choose to breath it voluntarily, that said I used about a litre of it yesterday and must of breathed a bit in, incidently it smells quite nice!
If you are very interested in toxicological data you could always get yourself a logon for a site such as www.sigmaaldrich.com then you can happily search for componds and see their MSDS. If it says effects not evaluated then it could be safe and could be hideous.

Whatever the risks, for me I would be happiest diving without a loop fitted battery 'cos it would probably stop me from fully enjoying my dive and relaxing if I had those nagging doubts at the back of my mind, then again I can't afford to join the CCR community as yet!

Mac99:
Whatever the risks, for me I would be happiest diving without a loop fitted battery 'cos it would probably stop me from fully enjoying my dive and relaxing if I had those nagging doubts at the back of my mind, then again I can't afford to join the CCR community as yet!

Mac99. et al,

New independent tests under real-world conditions have been run. The information is being collated now. Results will be announced as soon as they are available. Other measures are being undertaken to mitigate the perceived problem.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom