Hiding my shame... the secret log book... and the 4 coffee 5am incident!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log everything into one log book and my PC from the dive computer. I dive an average of 4-6 dives per week. Since I am a disable veteran, diving is like a therapy for me. The 60 minutes or so alone help me calm down and think about nothing but diving. I have a total of 107 dives and 80% are solo dives during the day but night or cavern dives I always do them with a buddy for extra safety.

Create a computerized log and keep a back up copy on an external hard drive or carbonite.

Same here. Just made a simple spreadsheet-style divelog, and keep a backup copy. Solo dives are logged alongside buddy dives.... a dive is a dive, and it is MY logbook afterall :wink:

Best wishes.

You know that the first step to recovery is acceptance that you have a problem, right? :wink:

Embrace your soloness! I log all of my dives in a very basic notation... in a Wet Notes book... Date, location, times, depths, gasses used, and anything "noteworthy" etc. I have done this for 37 years and enjoy looking over the old books now and again.

'fraid i'm a bit anal when it comes to logs. i download my computer then transfer the data to a database which has all kind of interesting things like tides seabed data etc on it so when planning dives i can refer to my log.

yeah it's backed up to a seperate hard drive & a dvd which lives somewhere else in case of fire.

sad aren't i?

slip of the tongue on Sunday, we were diving with an outfit who insist on buddies, the marshall said 'you are all diving with the same buddies as yesterday' i opened my mouth & the words fell out 'do we have to?' my buddy understood!

I log everything into one book that is archived and on my bookshelf next to all of my other books on underwater subjects (>50% of which are on nudibranchs)

I also download my computer and make some remarks on these logs, stored for posterity but don't print them off.

My log pages are specifically customised for my photography

I use a loose-leaf binder dive book made by Divebook, pages in English. The benefit of the loose pages is that you can replace them, e.g. if you spill coffee on them.

The log book includes all outdoors dives (except training dives in pools). The solo dives get a duplicate dive number, one for all dives and the other for solo dives only - spelled out very clearly: SOLO# 37.

I keep with me the last 100 dives in the active book plus 25-dive summary pages of earlier dives in case an operator would be interested. So far verbal verdict or showing the cards has been sufficient. I routinely cross out the sentence about adhering to buddy diving in the dive operator release forms and enter SDI Solo as my certification level. Only if needed by the dive destination, will I show my other cards. My solo diving has been rejected only once and that was at a mine diving site with strict policies (with obvious reasons).

In addition to the physical dive book, I download data from my two dive computers and add (more) personal comments into those archives. These comments cover any mishaps, moods, performance, exhaustion, quality of dive etc for later analysis. The only data missing is that of cancelled dives (for whatever reason).

I log every dive, and then scan the log pages into my computer using a .pdf format. This is kept on 2 separate computers.

There's a computer log I also keep, but it's flaky depending on how my dive computer wants to act during the download.

When I got to around a hundred dives I put all of them in a spreadsheet. Most of my dives are solo and they are all in there. Having them in a spreadsheet means I can analyze the data and also have off-site backup of the file.

My log is my record for me of things like viz, temperature, sketches of the wreck, etc.
If I use a different charter op I might record that too.
Or changes to gear configuration.

What other folks make of it I don't know since nobody's asked to see it ever.

Create a computerized log and keep a back up copy on an external hard drive or carbonite.

I 2nd this

I upload all my dives from my dive computer into diving log 5.0 and keep back up copies in my gmail and jump drive

Back
Top Bottom