death at kirkfeild today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unlikely from the depth of the Quarry, even if so!! then what caused it?? my buddies were diving near by and the events say otherwise. I question the instructor and shops experience and professionalism here, care to comment here ABN FROG?

What do you mean by unlikely from the depth of the quarry? It's 50 ft deep, that's plenty deep enough to pop a lung. You can easily do it in 10 or 15 ft. From 33 ft to the surface the lungs will double in volume if you hold your breath.

unlikely from the depth of the Quarry, even if so!! then what caused it?? my buddies were diving near by and the events say otherwise. I question the instructor and shops experience and professionalism here, care to comment here ABN FROG?

It's worth pointing out that pulmonary barotrauma is well accecpted to occur as shallow as 4' (four feet) of depth, something I keep in the back of my mind when working with students - even in the shallow end of the pool.

All the best, James

Exactly. When I'm teaching I am very aware of this. Even at 10 feet I have just a bit more time to react to a student that may bolt than one who might stand up in 4 ft of water too quickly without exhaling. Somebody needs to go back to OW class and reread the section on lung expansion injuries. A thorough review of Boyle's Law may be in order as well.

As for this section the purpose is to analyze accidents based on the information we have at the time. This will always involve speculation to some point. Nothing can be learned when we have no information at all. The info we now have could be anything from an AGE to cardiac event and everything in between. It would be best to hold any speculation until we get some details.

unlikely from the depth of the Quarry, even if so!! then what caused it??
It's worth pointing out that pulmonary barotrauma is well accepted to occur as shallow as 4' (four feet) of depth
That's the type of thing most cave divers would know. :confused:

1 i was not there, but the people that were there ARE friends of mine thats why i got alittle hot at your comment, as there are all good instructors and good people ,2 i talked with people who were there at the time,yes we will find out what happend in due course and yes it is vert sad. i have been told tonight that he WAS a past member of the club but did not renew this year, and 3 i know the law very well better than most ,i dont point fingers ,thats what i thought you were doing ,i was just informing people of the accident thats all , again pray for his family thx

Sounds good, but I think you have me confused with the other poster you had an exchange with...

Yes that is true Vlad, look more closely he is a caveboy, not a full cave diver, and his thousand dives start over when he becomes a man, you know a real cave diver that knows everything ( one that researches and thinks before clicking the post button)

Sounds to be a pretty bad dive, with blood and all, if in a class, yes it will be the instructors fault, but to blame the dive center is well, not what is going to happen. Every dive is gonna be dangerous to a point. A class is nerve racking enough, you must understand most instructors are still learning.

Now if dive center and instructors have a bad record of doing dangerous dives, that means they are doing advanced dives that do not fit your dive agenda.

Sorry to hear this and hope that you all can play in the pool together again.

Abnfrog.....he was on a course with your club I believe. Therefore his safety was in the clubs hands and therefore I hope for the clubs sake that the intire event was being controlled. From what I know it was far from it but I guess we will find out soon. Also I've been watching your comments here on the board over the last year or so, you really should just go away right now and avoid the board all together

Also just because someone didn't renew their yearly membership fee it dosent make then any different then the other divers. Im just questioning if the club in question and I will not mention the clubs name here, did everything by the book in this event...!!! I question it with good reason

News Talk 610 CKTB :: Body of York region scuba diver found in water-filled quarry in eastern Ontario :: Ontario News Article
KAWARTHA LAKES, Ont. - Provincial police say a York region man whose body was found in a water-filled quarry in eastern Ontario was attending a scuba diving certification test.

The body of the 49-year-old from Thornhill was found floating in the water Sunday on Talbot River Road just outside of the community of Kirkfield.

He had been attending a certification dive to obtain his solo diving certificate.

Police have not yet released the name of the man.

Regarding the diver death at Kirkfield Quarry.

Rather than post rumour, or try to argue with people who were neither present nor have anything of value to contribute I will instead tell you what I know because I was there, and leave it at that.

First, let me offer my deepest sympathy to his family.

Second, I offer my thanks and admiration to all of fellow divers and EMS technicians that tried for over 40 minutes to save the life of our friend. Everyone involved should be commended for their actions, you know who you are. Thank you.

The diver that passed away was a long time member of our club, but had not yet renewed his membership this year. This point is irrelevant, and ultimately has no bearing in the discussion whatsoever, however this is apparently worthy of discussion, so I will give you the facts rather than guesses and assumptions. He would have renewed before he began diving with the club this summer, he was still our friend and colleague regardless of whether he had been diving with us this year or not.

The diver that passed away was not a new student. He was a more than competent advanced diver whom I have dived with many times. His skills are not in question, I would not have hesitated to dive with him on ANY recreational dive here in Canada.

The diver that passed away was at the quarry with an LDS completing his 'solo diving course' which contrary to the name is about learning to dive self-sufficiently NOT alone. In our region many of the dives are sub 100 feet and not only carrying a pony bottle but being trained to be self-sustained in a situation is safer for the diver and his buddy.

There were many divers in the quarry on Sunday, and several that were participating in the course were also members of our dive club. The course was not put on by our club. The course was given by an LDS, the instructor was a good friend of mine as well as a friend of the victim. I was taught to dive by this instructor and I continued my dive education with him many times. I trust him completely, and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.

At this point no one knows what triggered the accident, only that our friend and dive buddy was found unresponsive on the surface and that rescue was immediately commenced and although everyone concerned did everything they could, they could not revive him. He will be missed.

There is no one that can explain what happened, and until there is an autopsy and the results are known there is really no point in speculation or accusation. Second hand information is only as valuable as it's cost to you.

We will miss our friend,

And on behalf of club, our hearts go out to all his family and friends.

Thanks for your time,
Safe diving to you all.

Tyler Caughill
President, Canadian Sub Aqua Club

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom