Looking for local dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icedraco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking for local divers who are around the same experience level as myself so we can go to local lakes and gain the experience we need mutually, and so that we can learn our possible diving routine so we may go to the ocean when we feel comfortable with each other and ourselves. I am in Silver Springs Maryland.

Don't be afraid to dive with a more experienced diver. They may be able to give you some pointers to improve your skills quickly..

I 'm not afraid (sounds like a movie line) I just feel that I would slow down the experienced diver, I just want to make sure people have fun.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

This is a very large site, with many subforums. There are so many, in fact, that readers tend to specialize in certain ones, and not many hang around the forum in which you asked for local dive buddies.

If you scroll down the main forum page a ways, you will find forums for regional travel and diving. Dig into that a ways and you will find a forum devoted to your area. Here is your path:

* Home
* Forum
* Regional Forums and Dive Clubs
* United States
* South Eastern United States
* Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders

You will find people there who are specifically interested in your area.

I am going to ask that this thread be moved to that forum so that it is more likely to attract the people you are looking for.

Hi and welcome,
Quarry and lake yourself through your advanced open water training and then come east to the atlantic!! John is dead on with the more experianced diver remark. You need to dive with people that are trained higher and with more dives than you so that they can mentor you. It is much more effective than classes, more comprehensive, less pressure to perform, and a great way to meet people. You will need a mentor or an ocean familiar buddy the first few times in the ocean or it will be a soup sandwich.
Eric

I 'm not afraid (sounds like a movie line) I just feel that I would slow down the experienced diver, I just want to make sure people have fun.

For a lot of people, working with and helping an inexperienced diver is fun. It is not fun when it happens unexpectedly, when the experienced diver is foiled in his or her plans to do an advanced dive. On the other hand, many divers have generous souls and will be more than happy to help you out if they know in advance what the situation is. If you lived in Colorado, I would be glad to dive with you.

Ok, John I will take the advice and open my borders. I understand that is also the reason why I want to dive in a landlocked body of water so that the experienced diver and I can work on my experience and my ability while developing our system of communication and other skills would would need to know to be better dive buddies to each other. If you know anyone in my area John, I would be more than great-full for the help in connecting with someone.

I drive to Lake Rawlings regularly. Next weekend will make 3 of the last 4. Since I don't have anyone else in my family right now who dives, I pretty much hang around the dock looking for a group to dive with. Last time I waited 2.5 hours before my first dive and only got 2 dives in the whole day. That is my fault because I hesitate to ask groups that look like students, and most groups are. I have found that many instructors don't want someone else around, and I completely understand that. Having a buddy would make the trips much more productive and allow many more dives.

I have been diving for 2 years, have 59 dives so far, and just completed my Rescue Diver cert. I expect to start DM training in the next few weeks.

I continue to work on my trim, with my goal being able to hang upside down without flipping over. I have many more things to work on, like navigation, but that is a big one for me. Last year my buoyancy was near perfect; I could hover still with no issues, but I lost about 150 pounds over the last year, and continue to lose, so my buoyancy is all messed up now. That is basic stuff, so we may be working on the same issues.

When I go for a weekend I camp there and usually have a few of my kids come along.

Jeff, I don't like the thought of doing that because I like to plan or at least try to plan my trips, even if they are just to the lake.

OK. I'm not sure what I said that was inconsistent with planning trips. For example, my next trip will be this coming Saturday, for the day. I'll get there between 9 and 10, and leave late, possibly after a night dive if any are being done.

Nevertheless, if you want to dive sometime I'm interested.

Back
Top Bottom