Diver Drowns At White Star Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Rich for posting this very thorough summary and the excellent lessons to be learned.

And here I was (a sadly, only once a year diver) thinking, "Gee, I'm going diving next week, maybe I should get my BCD and reg checked out?" The different views on risk and equipment in this sport are always amazing.

Trish

June 22, 2011
GIBSONBURG, Ohio — A Canton scuba diver who died June 12 while diving at the White Star Park quarry died of an air embolism, an autopsy has shown.

Leo Karatjas, Jr., 52, was pulled from the water and pronounced dead. Sandusky County Coroner Dr. John Wukie ruled his death accidental.

Rich,

Could you please elaborate on exactly who, and why, is talking of banning rebreathers?. This is the first rebreather fatality at white start that I know of in all the time I’ve been going there since 1990. However, there is usually one or two OC accidents/fatalities a year. Just doesn’t make since from a pure number of accidents point of view. If it’s a pure safety issue, maybe it would make more since to only allow certified divers at White Star, and ban all training dives. As uncertified divers in training have a higher chance of being involved in an incident, than experienced certified divers. Thanks in advance.

maybe it would make more since to only allow certified divers at White Star, and ban all training dives. As uncertified divers in training have a higher chance of being involved in an incident, than experienced certified divers. Thanks in advance.

What?? How are we to introduce new people to the sport. Your avatar says your an instructor. you trying to put yourself out of business???

yes i agree 100% with owsi176288 on what he said.

makes alot of sense to me if oc divers are the higher fatality numbers why is that ccr divers would be the ones banned?

i know it is only talk like you said rich but dude, you need to watch what you say on this site.

for example you know nothing about ccr diving so for you to give a break down of the deceased divers kit/rig makes nothing but hot air!!

my condolences go out to the divers family & friends..

dive safe, jim

Rich,

Could you please elaborate on exactly who, and why, is talking of banning rebreathers?. This is the first rebreather fatality at white start that I know of in all the time I’ve been going there since 1990. However, there is usually one or two OC accidents/fatalities a year. Just doesn’t make since from a pure number of accidents point of view. If it’s a pure safety issue, maybe it would make more since to only allow certified divers at White Star, and ban all training dives. As uncertified divers in training have a higher chance of being involved in an incident, than experienced certified divers. Thanks in advance.

What?? How are we to introduce new people to the sport. Your avatar says your an instructor. you trying to put yourself out of business???

I haven't taught in several years, didn't like the weekend wonder OW classes. So I stopped. And haven’t been on ScubaBoard much lately. So....I try and change my avatar - if I can remember how.

I don't want to get off topic and this probably would best be discussed in a different thread. But... if someone is throwing out ideas to ban a certain group of divers due to one accident, I would really like to know the reason(s) behind it. And why can't I throw out just as screwy an idea of banning a certain group of divers without really thinking it through? Your response sort of helps make my point.

Just asking for the basis behind the thought process of banning CCR divers is all. They’re way less than 1% of the total divers. And surely don’t affect insurance/liability calculations as much as changing/tweaking the certified divers verses divers in training ratio.

I haven't taught in several years, didn't like the weekend wonder OW classes. So I stopped. And haven’t been on ScubaBoard much lately. So....I try and change my avatar - if I can remember how.

I don't want to get off topic and this probably would best be discussed in a different thread. But... if someone is throwing out ideas to ban a certain group of divers due to one accident, I would really like to know the reason(s) behind it. And why can't I throw out just as screwy an idea of banning a certain group of divers without really thinking it through? Your response sort of helps make my point.

Just asking for the basis behind the thought process of banning CCR divers is all. They’re way less than 1% of the total divers. And surely don’t affect insurance/liability calculations as much as changing/tweaking the certified divers verses divers in training ratio.

Thanks you,

hey rich

i think you owe an explanation here to owsi176288 from the previous post he wrote.

the funny thing in which i read thru your dive summary was you described like the victim died while diving a rebrether unit but reading more on from better info the vistim died from an actual heart attack.

i think your personal post made alot of people think that all rebreather diving is unsafe and not to mention there has been talk about closing 'ws' quarry to ccr divers.

didnt 'ws' quarry even hold a posideon ccr expo that weekend besides? actually i think you were even a participant there.

all i can suggest here is before you post diver fatality info make sure you think of all the people reading it and actually you know what people read at this end.

your personal description of the victims rig was one described bye an oc diver for sure. all inspiration rigs are stock at 19 cf cylinders not 30 cf. and of course a nfgr will not admit to any error especially if a uniit was modified.

you understand liability i am sure since you run a diving company and have all air fill concessions at 'ws' quarry.

hope this gives you in sight on your post and what people read at this end of the web..

jim

Rich,

I don't know anything about rebreathers, altho it does sound like the deceased diver's equipment had issues - but the cause of death has not clearly been established. Rich said Air Embolism, someone else suggested Pulmonary Embolism, news stories (yeah we know how bad they can be) say Air Embolism, and now you say Heart Attack? Excerpting...
the funny thing in which i read thru your dive summary was you described like the victim died while diving a rebrether unit but reading more on from better info the vistim died from an actual heart attack.
Can you give a link to these "better info" sources, please...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom