GUE Materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The GUE videos are all available to you online with the membership you bought to take the class.

They're a little hidden. Login to the GUE site, go to 'My Membership Benefits' on the right hand side, and then you can access 'GUE videos'. Voila. Then You click on the 'Dive Training' videos and you get all those videos from class.

Best,
-Graham

The GUE videos are all available to you online with the membership you bought to take the class.

They're a little hidden. Login to the GUE site, go to 'My Membership Benefits' on the right hand side, and then you can access 'GUE videos'. Voila. Then You click on the 'Dive Training' videos and you get all those videos from class.

Best,
-Graham

Not for me, all I get is a "You must be a member to view contents:" with a link to the membership page wanting $$ to sign up. And I think you have to be at least a silver member ($125) to view videos. I can still download the class materials for another 4 weeks though.

Not for me, all I get is a "You must be a member to view contents:" with a link to the membership page wanting $$ to sign up. And I think you have to be at least a silver member ($125) to view videos. I can still download the class materials for another 4 weeks though.

Same for me...I found the videos, but you have to be a member to view them. If I'm reading it right, $39 will get you an "electronic membership" and then you can view the videos that we saw in Fundies. Silver, gold etc. gets you additional videos such as wreck diving, cave diving and mine diving videos (among others). $39 is not that big of a deal, but to be honest I feel that the videos I viewed in class should be free to people who attended the class. I already paid for this class - why should I have to pay more to be able to view the course materials (which the videos are)?

I'll probably go ahead and pay the $39, but I just think that's wrong.

The videos are available with the basic 39$ membership. But for some, the quality/resolution is pretty bad: too small to get it. I think Clare Gledhill demos on youtube are better.
The funny thing with the Gue videos is how shallow these were taken, pretty amazing !

The T1/C1 material has been updated a bit, and seems to be more colorful and better organized with less sets of documents. Not sure the content has changed much. I think it is better than the Gue-F material, but in all cases not too bad at all.

I agree the video could be accessible once you sign on for a class, at the same time membership and class subscription are 2 different things. Maybe signing for a class could give a 1 year membership, but then, price migh be 39$ higher !

For me the hotch-potch of benefits - poorly described on the GUE site - and the feeling that GUE is "cheaping out" by not allowing students access to pertinent instructional video clips is one of the *big* reasons I never became a member.

I'm signed up for Tech 1 class, and I have no access to any videos at all. Would be nice to review the basic skills etc. before class.

As for the materials, Stargost is right; the T1 materials look better than Fundies and are compiled into fewer files. But it's still not terribly "accessible" in the sense that it's unclear where it would make sense to start, which parts must be learned and known "by heart", and which info is to be read and then further explained during class. I know, I know; just read it all and figure it out along. But that's just not a terribly student-friendly or time-sensible way to study.

I know writing textbooks is no walk-in-the-park. An editor friend once said: "Books are never finished - they're abandoned." But it would be nice if for instance the T1 material were to be combined into one volume and include a table of content, and maybe even a page or two of how to approach the various sections.

It would also be nice if there were document versions set-up for print.

Henrik

For me the hotch-potch of benefits - poorly described on the GUE site - and the feeling that GUE is "cheaping out" by not allowing students access to pertinent instructional video clips is one of the *big* reasons I never became a member.

I'm signed up for Tech 1 class, and I have no access to any videos at all. Would be nice to review the basic skills etc. before class.

As for the materials, Stargost is right; the T1 materials look better than Fundies and are compiled into fewer files. But it's still not terribly "accessible" in the sense that it's unclear where it would make sense to start, which parts must be learned and known "by heart", and which info is to be read and then further explained during class. I know, I know; just read it all and figure it out along. But that's just not a terribly student-friendly or time-sensible way to study.

I know writing textbooks is no walk-in-the-park. An editor friend once said: "Books are never finished - they're abandoned." But it would be nice if for instance the T1 material were to be combined into one volume and include a table of content, and maybe even a page or two of how to approach the various sections.

It would also be nice if there were document versions set-up for print.

Henrik

Just imagine if all the material, class, books, exercises, and deco planner, were all included into a super friendly application for ipad, with links, possibility to bookmarks, etc ... ;-)

I would like to add to what I think could be better. I feel that once you take a class the most current materials should be available to you throughout the duration of the membership. I know some things have changed over time and making sure every student has access to those curriculum changes would go a long way towards the standardization that we are trying to achieve in GUE. I know procedural documents seem to be always available, but I am talking about deco theory stuff and other things covered in the notes. ITs much easier to make a change at the top if you know the people in the field are going to get the message.

Being brutally honest for a second, if you really want to see them, it is not that hard to locate pirate copies onine.

Just imagine if all the material, class, books, exercises, and deco planner, were all included into a super friendly application for ipad, with links, possibility to bookmarks, etc ... ;-)

Oh, that'd be very nice indeed. Not that big a market yet though. Having the pdf material formatted to work/display well on electronic readers would be a nice and relatively straight forward first step.

Henrik

Being brutally honest for a second, if you really want to see them, it is not that hard to locate pirate copies onine.

True, there are way to get just about anything online, but that just points back to GUE. If I am paying them a decent chunck of money for the class, why should I have to become a pirate for access to class materials.:pirate6:

Besides, if you ever tell a GUE instructor you watched an "unofficial" video on the web about skills I think you go to GUE hell:D You get the standard response of they may be doing it wrong and I would have to teach you how to do it all over again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom