Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Mike,

YES YES & YES. I am definitely in. Thanks for asking. I need a day on the water without having to drive what seems like a million miles. Dive bag half packed. Just need to know where and when. I need tanks. Should I make my arrangements? We are going with Phill I presume? I would prefer my tanks be on the boat but if not I will pick some up. 2 or 3 dives? You know I have a theory the closer to the ocean the LARGER the finds. There are two public landings (worth using) between the last place we went and the ocean. I have Google maps to both. Let me know.

I need a big haul since Venice was such a disappointment (tooth wise). We had 12 divers spend 36+ hours searching the bottom offshore Venice and the produce was pathetic. One small Meg was found and a couple of shards. Had a WONDERFUL visit and a fabulous time but like I said the produce was miserable. Felt like I covered 100 miles of bottom. Looks like a Meg (whole tooth) pops up about every 100 hrs of dive time. I heard the locals vacuum them up in April.

When you start crunching the numbers it becomes obvious the dive boats there are putting divers on the bottom for somewhere between 600 and 1200 hours per week of "search and find" time. And those numbers are probably conservative

Did find some NICE fossilized scallops. Most divers dont have a clue as to what they are looking at (or don't care)

Check this out:

Hi – our trip is $1190.00/person and that includes food, liquor, diving, and air conditioned accommodations. Departs out of Nassau. Eight days of diving.

072_1024x576.JPG.jpeg

Last edited:
Well sadly I was not able to dive with AeroMike today, BUT I know where he is diving and I suspect we will be hearing about what a killer good site it was for "finding stuff'. I hope to find my way there in the next few weeks. Speaking of finding stuff, I researched some of the sites to dive where you can find stuff and here is what I came up with. If you are a southeast US offshore diver/fossil/artifact/shell hunter... this info may interest you. I hope to do some of these dives.

Little Gardens / Indigo Ledges - Charleston Scuba - Sunday July 24th - noon departure (limestone bed/large fossilized scallops)

Meg Ledge - Carolina Dive Center Wilmington NC - Saturday August 27th (plain and simple, MEGS)

Little Gardens / Indigo Ledges - Charleston Scuba - Sunday September 4th - noon departure (limestone bed/large fossilized scallops)

Civil War Wreck - Express Watersports Murrells Inlet SC - Sunday September 4th (Civil War artifacts)

Fossil Ledge - Aquatic Safaris Wilmington NC - Sunday September 18th - 7:30am departure (plain and simple, MEGS)

Meg Ledge - Carolina Dive Center Wilmington NC - Saturday October 8th (plain and simple, MEGS)

I am still uploading photos. This was one of my best dives ever~!!!! lol I will post pics hopefully tonight. The dive was actually Phill's day, he found all the good stuff even though I found over 200 teeth.

I knew it was going to be "killer" site. I have been targeting that area and further down for quite some time now. My instinct is kickin in. There are some "mother lodes" down river. I am sure of it.

A little about Phill. I have been diving with him for about 15 years. He says it is luck but he is "hell on wheels" when it comes to finding stuff in a river. The man is a total hound dog.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I am headed back to the limestone ledge (Little Gardens) I found offshore Charleston SC last season

Here is a photo of a fossilized scallop I found there.
th_100_7951.jpg

I am planning on using the Trinity Dive Boat with Charleston Scuba.

Here are the dates:

Sunday July 24th

Sunday Aug 7th
Sunday Aug 21st

Sunday Sept 4th

Sunday Oct 2nd
Sunday Oct 16th

I have not picked a date or signed on yet. If interested let me know and we will go check it out.

Last edited:
I am still uploading photos. This was one of my best dives ever~!!!! lol I will post pics hopefully tonight. The dive was actually Phill's day, he found all the good stuff even though I found over 200 teeth.

Let's see them pics!:D

Wish I could have joined yall.

Mike, Phill, and I spent Saturday fossiling the Edisto river. I actually did not realize the volume of teeth Mike and Phill found until I started looking a Mikes photos. Simply amazing. They found some really nice teeth.

I found a Gomphotherium and a nice 4" Megalodon. I am hoping to find some advice, information, and or suggestions on cleaning them. The Gomp is very rare from what I am reading and quite valuable in fossil circles. The Gomp, or prehistoric elephant tooth, is from the Miocene or Pliocene period, 2 to 23 million years ago. I saw some photos of one that was cleaned and it had a shine like a ground and polished whale ear bone. In other words, it was mirror black.

"Mike's fossil photos from Saturday"

Below are photos I took Saturday.

Mike

Gomphotherium

Bottom view

4" Meg / Petrified Wood / Gomp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom