Canon S90 Vs S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcrews5508

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Guys and Gals

I've been diving for about a year now and have finally gotten my skills down to where I am ready to start slowly easing into photography. I have looked around and have decided on the s90/95. I also noticed a few really good deals on the 90.
($299) My question is, is the s95 that much better than the s90? I do have a budget so the more I save on the camera the more I can put towards a possibly better housing. However I dont want to sacrifice quality photos. Your thoughts?

I would recommend the S95. It has some improvements over the S90. I think the ergonomics of the knobs and wheel feel a lot better. Get this with the Recsea Housing. That's what I would get if I were shopping today. I have the S90 with the FIX Housing.

The only real difference underwater is the additional 24fps 720p video in the S95. Image stabilization is also better but this is not much of an issue underwater if you are composing your shots.

If you are budget conscious and expect to be using both the matching Canon housing and external mount Inon wet lenses, used lenses will be far easier to come by for the S90. The S95/WP-DC38 setup only supports the newer mount system for which there is really nothing in the "used" stream right now. (This is not an issue with any of the other brand housings or if you have no problem paying full retail for the new model lenses.)

Actually, it has been shown that the S90 has better battery life and a quicker shutter/focus response, several websites report this. For photography, I would go with the S90, if movies on your Samsung flat panel are the thing then the S95 might be the better choice but then maybe some sort of little HD video camera might be better for that.

Why does Canon movie three inches forward and back a foot? Seems to be there mode of operation as a corporation. Next they will put a super 200X zoom and 3D on the S series and then voila, the camera is no longer suitable for underwater use.

N

Thanks guys. I've decided to go with the 90 for $299 I feel it's a steal.

Back
Top Bottom