first pool session today and some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no we have never done a complete weight check. However today was my first OW session and I still sunk like a rock, kinda hit my knees pretty hard on the sand actually. Of course that was after my fins completely shatterred in the surf and I had to borrow the instructors. Talk to the instructor and we both agree that 32 seems to be too much for me. We will adjust tomorrow and work on getting a good weight down.

Ask you instructor to help you perform a proper weight check at your next outing, you can even do this yourself but having a second person to help with removing weights in the water makes it easier.

So what is a proper weight check? you should float at eye level with 500 psi of air in your tank, no air in your BC, and lungs about half full. If you have to add air to your BC to keep you afloat then you are too heavy, remove some weight and try again. Keep shedding weight until you can just float at eye level with a medium breath of air. You do this at the end of dive.

Weight needed has varied greatly for me. I am 5'8 and 170 . My open water cert dives in a 7mm was 24 lbs(cold fresh water). My first open water dives after cert were in salt water with a 3mm was 24 lbs. Then my next trip was 18 lbs in the same 3mm. Now I am in using 10 lbs 45+ dives later. I did weight checks my first day of diving on each trip, to descend that's what it took I am thinking about trying 8 lbs on my next trip but need more time to play with placement of the weight to make it work.

A weight check is mandatory. But even better is someone can watch you and help you get it sorted out. Until you know what it "feels" like it is difficult to know what is right. It makes a tremendous difference to have someone who knows what they are doing help you get it sorted out, at least it did for me.

well still no proper weight check but I did drop down to 30 lbs for my last 2 OW dives today and seemed to actually float to the bottom instead of sinking. I also was able to control bouyancy a LOT better and seemed to be pretty good to go with that weight for today. NTW all weights are in addition to a steel 72...

On my first post cert dive I plan on going with one of my instructors just by myself where we will have time to dedicate to weight checks and good bouyancy control and other stuff that is difficult for one instructor to deal with in a class situation.

All in all it was a good day of diving and I am glad I have my c-card now. Cant wait to go out some more!

I did a weight check at my docks yesterday. I am 5'9" 167 lbs in a 6.5 mm farmer john. My tank was at 600 psi and is a 117 HP Faber steel. I had 16 lbs and had to pull my self down the first 5 feet. I dive colder waters also and have realized that the suit will crush enough once below 5-9 feet. I know that I should have checked after diving a while at depth as you remove more air pockets from your wetsuit.On that note, every person is just a little different in their needs when it comes to weighting.

Back
Top Bottom