DM not helping students

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "swim test" just is a hold-over from the old para-military training.

I don't think that a leisurely, un-timed, 200m swim is reminiscent of any military training I have completed or witnessed.... LOL

Unless, of course, you are talking about the Italian military, but even they have to complete a 15 minute tread water whilst holding a 1.5kg white flag above their heads... :wink:

While it's nice to be able to cover some distance, I don't really think it's a deal-breaker.

If you can't think of one single reason why basic swimming capacity is necessary for a scuba diver, then you've obviously not encountered any incidents during your time as a diver.

The mistake is to believe that your lack of experience with incidents correlates to a 'fact' that incidents don't occur.

The is recreational SCUBA. The worst that should happen is that the diver surfaces and waits for the boat. As long as they can manage to hang out on the surface and not drown, that should be good enough.

I think the whole point of the swim test is to ensure that the diver does, in fact, have the capability to "hang out at the surface and not drown".

The thing is he got half way thru and was exhausted. May be it was his pride that didn't ask to complete it tomorow. He was the only 2 students in the class. That's the only thing that kind of made me upset. If he is to out of shape it's on him, my wife and I will use the credit to go dive once we go to the states for vacation.

I see many people talking about not teaching him to swim. He can swim and is not over weight. He is 6'0 190 lbs. Just a little encouragement goes a long way. Fatigue killed him. Swimming is a total different beast compared to him going to the gym 4 times a week. He is not worried he will get it. Again thanks for the replies always a plethora of information.

Sounds like he just needs to skip gym 2 times a week and go swim laps twice a week at the local pool instead for a while.

I bought my father his open water class for fathers day. He is 54 years old. He went to the first day of class and they did the swim and the float. The DM told my father he had to swim non-stop for the preliminary swim. He did past because he was tired. Is there something wrong with them sending him home and not trying to work with him. They told him he needs to practice then come back, like he will get his swim stamina up in 1 week. Honestly home much freestyle swimming do you do underwater. Hell he tought me how to swim and snorkel he is just older with a body the military beat up. Fatigue ended his day, but he has the mechanics. Wrong for being upset?
If he is not up for swimming a paltry 200 yards he is not ready to learn to dive. He should spend some time in the pool.

I dont understand what you are trying to say. Did he complete the swim and float or not? The requirements are 200 meter swim, any style un-timed and a 10 minute float. It is not a question of fatigue but one of comfort in the water. Doing a long surface swim is not uncommon. I am not sure why they sent him home. Has he completed the book sessions and knowledge reviews? I have certified a non-swimmer but he did have to pass the swim and float test. Again, tell your Dad to just take his time and go easy.
Side stroke works great.
The swimming skills don't have to be done successfully the first session of the Scuba Diver course but they have be done successfully before the student is taken to the open water part of the course or is given a referral (unless, of course, the student can' swim, float AT ALL or is not comfortable in the water). If is a matter of being out of shape within reason, I'd still allow the student to continue with the class but he would have to get the all requirements done with a smile on his face BEFORE he is taken to open water or is given a referral.

Based solely on your description, I wouldn't have sent your father home just because he couldn't finish the swimming exercise. I'd have given him another chance before proceeding to open water.

I can no longer count how many times I have done those swims WITH my students. If one is struggling a little, I will get in & do the swims right beside them & encourage them along the way. Surprising what a little encouragement can do to help them out.
Always, I never have a swim test, for any level of course, that the staff does not participate in along side of the students. I'm sure Burhan remembers Papa H and I sidestroking our way through the 440 at Burhan's ITC.
The "swim test" just is a hold-over from the old para-military training. While it's nice to be able to cover some distance, I don't really think it's a deal-breaker.

The is recreational SCUBA. The worst that should happen is that the diver surfaces and waits for the boat. As long as they can manage to hang out on the surface and not drown, that should be good enough.

flots.
I teach people who know how to swim to free dive, then I teach free divers to scuba dive, sometimes I teach non-swimmers to swim, but I never teach non-swimmers (or inadequate swimmers) to either free dive or scuba dive ... it just would not make sense to do so.
Sounds like he just needs to skip gym 2 times a week and go swim laps twice a week at the local pool instead for a while.
Yup.

Antagonist, I really would worry about someone who is exercising and not overweight, and who can't complete a 200 yard swim due to fatigue. I mean, I did it, and I'm in my 50's and not at all in great cardiovascular shape, and I'm a HORRIBLE swimmer. I did it sidestroke, and you can go as slowly as you want. I really would worry, if your dad couldn't complete the swim because of fatigue, that he's just in too poor shape to cope with the general physical demands of diving, which include moving heavy gear, walking up and down slopes, climbing boat ladders, hanging onto anchor lines in current, or surface swimming. People think diving is easy, and a lot of it is . . . but not all of it, and not always.

Don't be angry with his instructor. He's trying to keep your dad safe.

Something doesn't add up. In good shape, not overweight, exercises and simultaneously can't swim 200m?

Is your father a non-swimmer? Then he should learn to swim first. This is the only explanation I can think of for his problem, and I think he should be sent to swim classes.

Otherwise, we are missing some piece of information. Your description should equal a person who is easily capable of swimming 1000m in the allotted time, not being too tired out after 100m.

Osric

Maybe he was tired from activities not related to the swim itself.

In any case go back and tell him to take his time. There is no time limit so if he understands that he should be fine. My wife took forever to do hers but it didn't matter she still passed it.

I don't think that a leisurely, un-timed, 200m swim is reminiscent of any military training I have completed or witnessed.... LOL

Unless, of course, you are talking about the Italian military, but even they have to complete a 15 minute tread water whilst holding a 1.5kg white flag above their heads... :wink:

I spewed coffee every where ya' bastard... nice!

Michael

If you can't think of one single reason why basic swimming capacity is necessary for a scuba diver, then you've obviously not encountered any incidents during your time as a diver.

Floating, not panicking and not drowning are much higher on my list of "stuff that keeps divers safe" than the ability to swim 200m.

In fact, while the ability to swim is certainly wonderful, I'd much rather the boat go pick up a drifting diver than risk a heart-attack. Older people are diving now, and as much as we would like to think otherwise, it's pretty much impossible to turn back the clock on many physical conditions.

flots.

Back
Top Bottom