Some Musings on Etiquette (Hey what's that) When in Cozumel and Other "Stuff"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

---------------------
I used Corona and then tried a 2nd batch with a Sol. There were quite a few in the friends involved in the taste test. The one we made with Sol we blended with ice for a frozen version. Most friends liked that a bit better than the on ice version of beer margaritas. I wonder if you can make a low carb version with Mickelob Ultra?
--------------------

Hmmm, in defense of the recipe, sorta, I've never tried it on the rocks... I prefer traditional margs OTR but have only had the beer margs frozen!

... do they sell blenders as Mega? Sounds like further testing might be required!

I agree...OTR was not so good, frozen so much better. For me, the bottom line is that I like my Margarita OTR so I will stick with that. We had a great time taste testing!!
I would imagine that Mega or Chedraui has blenders.

The 100 Anos reposada is actually pretty darn good & at around $10/bottle at Mega or Chadraui is a bargain. Usually drink it straight and goes down smoothly.

Mike

I'll have to try a little straight. Think I got it for listening to the timeshare guy at the Grand in '08. I just rashly assumed it was like Cuervo-ish.

Can't imagine that it's as good as a chelada. I think the extra sweetness would take away from the flavor of a chelada. Mmmmmmm... Chelada.....

We tried them using a recipe we found in Southern Living Magazine. We used Dos xx amber.....yummmm

Beer 'Garitas

1 (12-oz.) container limeade concentrate, thawed
1 1/2 cups tequila
2 (12-oz.) bottles beer
Crushed ice
Garnish: lime slices
Preparation
Stir together first 3 ingredients in a large pitcher until blended. Serve immediately over crushed ice. Garnish, if desired.

Hear! Hear! on what Jenn said about tipping. People in Mexico work exceedingly hard and the DMs and crews rely on the tips. While you're at it. Don't forget your hotel maid. She works for not enough peanuts to feed a very small elephant. Every day, you come back for your surface interval to a clean room with fresh towels and the evidence of any excesses from the night before are erased. Leave her something too.

Hear! Hear! on what Jenn said about tipping. People in Mexico work exceedingly hard and the DMs and crews rely on the tips. While you're at it. Don't forget your hotel maid. She works for not enough peanuts to feed a very small elephant. Every day, you come back for your surface interval to a clean room with fresh towels and the evidence of any excesses from the night before are erased. Leave her something too.
While I support tipping hotel maids and bellhops, this ignores all the behind-the-scenes people. For instance, the guy who mops or vacuums the floor of the hotel lobby and the groundskeepers who keep the plant life under control are working just as hard and for similar low wages as the hotel maid, but who tips them? I prefer the idea of pooled tips, even though it's more personally satisfying to hand money to the person who directly rendered service to you. Too bad most hotels don't offer such.

Great write-up! :clapping:

Only thing I'd change is that $5/tank tip. 12 years ago it was $5/tank. Please look at $6 - $7 per tank.

I think $5/tank is still sufficient, there has been a lot of wage deflation in the last decade so it's fine. 10 years ago the average salary for my field was X, now it is X-10% so I should actually reduce that tip to $4/tank but I still pay $5/tank anyway. Better than a lot of people (Europeans etc.) who just don't tip at all (I think there are so many threads about this!)...

I think $5/tank is still sufficient, there has been a lot of wage deflation in the last decade so it's fine. 10 years ago the average salary for my field was X, now it is X-10% so I should actually reduce that tip to $4/tank but I still pay $5/tank anyway. Better than a lot of people (Europeans etc.) who just don't tip at all (I think there are so many threads about this!)...

The US dollar gets fewer pesos these days, in 2009 $1 = +/= 13 pesos(as high as 15), it is currently around 11(+/- 15% less)10 years ago it was about 11, what it is now. Everyone is free to tip whatever they want, don't want to open pandora's box again.

I have really started to take a good look at tipping while in COZ. For example I used to tip say $1 for breakfast to the waiter, but they pool their tips together for the cook, helper, and waiter, and so now I have doubled the amount. I have also doubled the amount since last year to the maid as they have always gone out of their way to make sure we get extra towels, cups, or whatever else, even doing our laundry in some cases. With the DM's I go by service as well. If they are helpful, and do a good job $15 for a 2-tank morning dive is what I give.
I have not tipped say the front desk people who have given us advice on restaurants or taxis, or the guy that makes coffee at 0530 in the lobby, or the guys who work in the dive shop, but what we do for them is bring a small gift usually a nice large gourmet chocolate bar from back home or a T-shirt.

Back
Top Bottom