How deep have you gone on air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a note, but deep diving air OR mix is a lot like heat transfer with large gradients. It is possible to pass your hand through a stream of molten steel with out burning it, provided the contact time is VERY short. Gas takeup is a lot like that in that it takes time forthe tissues and blool to load up enough to have an effect. Not much time, but some. The longer you stay the worse it gets, to a point. The first minute or 2 are critical howeever. A fast swim down to max depth, one breath there while taking a shot (photo or spear), then fast up to half max depth followed by a creep to the surface doesn't give time for much gas transfer on the deep side. OTOH this more related to working diving, not general rec scuba sightseeing.

Your DCS risk might be small, but there are plenty of other risks to compensate.

I remember chatting with an older instructor from Cayman once, and he was telling me about how every so often a couple of dive instructors will do a bounce dive to 300 feet on their day off. "We lose one every now and again," he said "but not as many as you might think."

i recently i went to 45m (about 145ft).

Unfortunately, I panicked (narcosis + low air + the work i was doing) and then made a very fast accent.

I consider myself very lucky to have got out with no issue. Prob due to short dive time (7 minutes)

Definitely in the "Lets not do that again category"!

i recently i went to 45m (about 145ft).

Unfortunately, I panicked (narcosis + low air + the work i was doing) and then made a very fast accent.

I consider myself very lucky to have got out with no issue. Prob due to short dive time (7 minutes)

Definitely in the "Lets not do that again category"!

Maybe even luckier than you think.
At 145 7 min is outside the no deco limits on the old US Navy Tables., from surface departure to turn to the sun and swim up.

Yes, but you're going to do most of your deco on the ascent if you come up at a reasonable rate... however after a "very fast ascent" - yeah, I'd say you were lucky. But then people do stupid things all the time and get away with it :wink:

on O'ahu we usually do mostly deep air dives (up to 200) with bottom times @ 30 min and 55 min run times (with Accelerated deco profiles), been doing them for over 12 years with hundreds of hours in the water with no incidents
*note* we are all trained for this, water temp at depth is still 78 degrees and vis is usually in the 300+ foot range, if diving in colder water or with less vis it would off course be ludicris to dive this deep on air

Deep enough to die, more times than I care to remember.

Tortuga68 said it best.
But then people do stupid things all the time and get away with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom