How deep have you gone on air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been balls deep on air a few times...
I only go that deep with a buddy though...

Michael

Now that's a video!

The planned depth was around 110' but the DM who also happened to be a former navy EOD technician, and therefore trained to dive by the best asked us if we would like to change the plan and do a flight deck dive instead and assured us that we would be safe because we would still be well within the PPO2 levels that he dove when he was in the navy

I guess you already know that's not a good reason. As far as 'trained by the best' goes, you should read a book called Diver by Tony Groom, who was in the equivalent of EOD in the British Royal Navy - might change your mind

This is a recent video I shot of myself on a solo air dive to around 185 ft, Everything was cool until it got completely out of hand..thought I might die for a few seconds.

Incredible vid, I'm especially impressed with the POV - great configuration.

I can't even imagine the size of the load I'd drop in my suit if I were in this situation!!

How big were those bulls? I'd guess 1.5m - 1.7m?

currier, no I have not completed any tech training yet. I don't have the money right now to get tech certified, nor do I feel that I have the experience yet to do tech training much past the advanced nitrox level.

This story sounds mighty familiar - one that I can recall telling a number of times over the past few months.

Having only been in this game for approx. 18 months, I am still captivated by the experiences to which I'm exposed as a recreational diver. So long as my enthusiasm remains strong, and my paltry disposable income remains - well - paltry, I'll be forced to satisfy my curiousity for the deep through the vivid accounts here.

Incredible vid, I'm especially impressed with the POV - great configuration.

I can't even imagine the size of the load I'd drop in my suit if I were in this situation!!

How big were those bulls? I'd guess 1.5m - 1.7m?

Those bulls were much bigger than that. They tend to be short and fat. They are probably 7-8 feet maybe, for smaller ones. I saw one a few weeks ago, that was easily over 600 lbs (maybe considerably larger, who knows). That size is approaching the record size supposedly.

A local diver lost a big piece of his calf to a large bull on that very same wreck, two weeks after the video was shot.

180' San Francisco Maru

Too deep, numerous times back in the day. Did a bunch of bounce dives between 250 and 300 ft. in Ft. Lauderdale, the Bahamas and Cozumel. All were on single 72 cft. tanks, with a stage bottle tied off sometimes, using US Navy diving tables. Two of the dives drifted into O2 toxicity. Acute narcosis was a given on some of them exacerbated by the usual factors. I even wrote a paper at 18 for a college English class on N2 Narcosis, symptoms, factors and management, such as it was, after about 75 deco dives. I am so glad I got the deep air stuff out of my system before I turned 20 and still off gassed fairly efficiently. Bottom line and speaking from experience, deep air is a bad idea, one to be avoided.

Just a note, but deep diving air OR mix is a lot like heat transfer with large gradients. It is possible to pass your hand through a stream of molten steel with out burning it, provided the contact time is VERY short. Gas takeup is a lot like that in that it takes time forthe tissues and blool to load up enough to have an effect. Not much time, but some. The longer you stay the worse it gets, to a point. The first minute or 2 are critical howeever. A fast swim down to max depth, one breath there while taking a shot (photo or spear), then fast up to half max depth followed by a creep to the surface doesn't give time for much gas transfer on the deep side. OTOH this more related to working diving, not general rec scuba sightseeing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom