Another Cozumel noob looking for advice from the regulars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I frequently dive my shorty with a full skin underneath. You're right - not exactly fashionable, but it works!! I'd wear just the shorty but I invariably get stung by sea lice (or something!) if I don't wear the skin. When the water gets warm, I just wear the skin. Doesn't seem to matter the time of year - anything out there will find and bite me!
I do the same thing. I have a shorty that I bought in the water ski dept at Academy (so it was much cheaper than one "made for diving") and I wear a dive skin underneath it. I think it looks quite stylish, actually. It's the "layered look". :D

Last edited:
I have tried a couple of the all-inclusives like Park Royale and they didn't hold up to what I've found in other parts of the world so I'll leave that advice to others. You will miss the local experience if you stay at an all inclusive. I think that's one of the best parts, but traveling with your mom is going to limit some things and an all-inclusive might be a lot more fun for her. You can come back and stay at one of the cool local spots another time. Your elderly parent rules out my favorite diver friendly little inexpensive B&B Cozumel Bed and Breakfast, Tamarindo BandB.

But, My favorite dive operator picks just about any resort you end up at. I REALLY like Deep Blue as a dive operator. Their boats are small and fast and never have more than about 8 diver max. They split people by experience level and have some really good DMs. I highly recommend them. I don't know EXACTLY how it's done but it seems that whoever has arranged to dive with them signs up at the shop in town and the boat stops at whatever resort they are staying at. I always get on at the pier in San Miguel....but usually, there are one or two people getting picked up at the resorts south of town.

If your mom can get around at all, try for a Sunday outing to Chien Rio at the south end of the island where you sit on a lovely sandy beach, watch wild waves, eat great fish and drink the best margaritas around.

I had a full spinal fusion at L5-S1, with rods and pins.

Ouch!

You are making good, informed choices. Try to make some time to visit the local restaurants whether you are on AI or not. And Wet Windy's is a great place to meet the regulars (two of their margaritas and you won't remember whom you met).

We have been to Coz 14 times in the last 12 years. We are going back June 21-July 1, so we will miss you by a few days.

Hey Bob,
You're not on the June list... Does your flight connect through Atlanta?

LeeAnne will be visiting some local restaurants. We'll be seeing each other during dive days, and I will be badgering her. Right LeeAnne?!?

Hey Bob,

LeeAnne will be visiting some local restaurants. We'll be seeing each other during dive days, and I will be badgering her. Right LeeAnne?!?

LOL True that! :wink: I've been reading up on Cozumel - read quite a few websites over the weekend to learn as much as I can. I usually plan my vacations at least a year in advance, and have read everything there is to read about them before I even begin making reservations - but this was a sudden thing so I'm playing catch-up. Now I'm more excited than ever! After reading about all the awesome restaurants I've seriously questioned my decision to stay at an AI, but then I realize that with my Mom situation, it really will be the best thing. Hell we may not even eat any of our dinners there! But we'll make use of the AI in many other ways, and that $1500 resort credit will get used up for sure, which will give Mom lots of fun things to do while I'm off diving.

Anybody else who reads this thread and happens to be going in July - be sure to go post on the July roll call, and RSVP to the Meet n Greets! :)

I've questioned staying at an AI too given the restaurants available on the island, but I spend too much when I do it a la carte and found that the Palace restaurants impressed me enough to stay in. However, if I were to eat out a few nights, there are three places I'd hit: (1) La Cocay, for upscale Caribbean - I went soon after they opened, over 10 years ago, and they're still around so that's a good sign; (2) El Moro, for excellent Mexican at excellent prices, but a bit out of the way; and (3) Prima for Italian/Continental - I've only dined at the old location (4 times, the last was with a friend of the owner so we got a great table and were sent right up notwithstanding the hour+ wait), but have heard the new location is amazing.

Unfortunately the Palace only has 4 dining options, plus we're probably going to use up our credits for the "romantic dinner for 2" twice (prime beef, lobster, Moet - they normally price it at $350/couple) and that's our six night's dinners accounted for. That's fine by me since by my calculations the Palace is only a great deal if you don't eat out. On our last trip, we dropped $50 for drinks/snacks during our meet and greet and, while the conversation was great and the food and drinks were just fine, I almost felt like I was "wasting" the money since we could have had our fill for free at the Palace.

As I'm already tentatively planning our next trip to the island, at least in my day dreams, our next time we'll probably go a la carte since there are so many new places to try since the last time I dined around. This trip is mainly for some R&R and not having to worry about where to eat makes it even more relaxing IMO. Our last two trips involved touring ourselves around Italy. We had a great time, but it was a lot of work figuring out where to eat each night on top of making our way around sightseeing all day. This trip, I just wanted to park myself somewhere exceedingly comfortable so my brain can hibernate for (almost) a week and I'm confident the Palace will serve that purpose admirably.

We leave for the airport in exactly 24 hours and 15 minutes and I am getting excited.

Have a great time! Mine's coming up soon (not soon enough!).

Hey Bob,

What/where is the June list?

We leave June 21 (tomorrow) and connect to the Delta 1105am flight in Atlanta to Coz. Staying Casa Mexicana.

We leave June 21 (tomorrow) and connect to the Delta 1105am flight in Atlanta to Coz. Staying Casa Mexicana.

Excellent! We're on the same flight.
I am a big blonde girl, probably long-hair-down and wearing purple (current plan). I will probably be hanging out with Julio, SeaWolf5. He's hispanic, avg height, very short hair, probably a baseball cap with wings on it somewhere.
Keep an eye out for us at/around the gate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom