Travel rig plate help figuring out whats best for me ???/

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernShrinkage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Putting together a lightweight travel rig to replace my Zeagle scout (dont like) and am a little torn on which route to go in order to reduce weight without giving up stability.

Was looking at 3 options the Oxycheq ultralite travel plate but although lightweight Im guessing its not very stable.

Next was the the Oxycheq SS travel plate but at 2.2 lbs am I realy gaining much by saving .08 of a pound over a full size aluminum plate ?

Lastly a standard aluminum plate at 3 lbs is probably gonna be my best bet.

All my diving at home is on plate including instruction. So i am basicly lookin at building something similar and minimalistic for travel but was curious to hear others thoughts....... Thx for the help

Last edited:
Personally I hate lead so I bought a <10 lb akona bag and just pack my steel back plate wherever I go. I can get my plate, my 5mm, and all accessories and only be around 36lbs. You do pay the extra bag fees but I prefer to dive the same gear all the time. If you are looking for light weight travel why not go with transpac (no plate) and just add weight pockets to the cam bands?

have you check out the Zeagle Express Tech (Express Tech Deluxe - Backplate BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems netdoc has a great review a post or two down.

Was looking at 3 options the Oxycheq ultralite travel plate but although lightweight Im guessing its not very stable.

Next was the the Oxycheq SS travel plate but at 2.2 lbs am I realy gaining much by saving .08 of a pound over a full size aluminum plate ?

Lastly a standard aluminum plate at 3 lbs is probably gonna be my best bet.

All my diving at home is on plate including instruction. So i am basicly lookin at building something similar and minimalistic for travel but was curious to hear others thoughts....... Thx for the help
I think the Oxycheq ultralight travel plate + wing would probably provide enough tank stability.

Honestly, I think any of the three choices would work out just fine for you. Probably just depends on how much you want to spend (eligible for keyman discounts?) and whether you care to take your single-tank cold water wing with you on vacation.

"Travel rig plate help figuring out whats best for me ???/"

In April, I took my newly purchased Oxycheq Ultralite travel plate to Cozumel. I had it coupled with an older 35lb Diverite Venture wing. I was a bit worried that having not previously tried it out, that it would be a bit unstable with the 120 steel tanks that I would be using while boat diving with Aldora Divers of Cozumel. After doing 12 dives, averaging 82 minutes each, I can tell you that I will probably be using the Ultralite for all my future trips to Coz. I found that the unit was actually comfortable, very streamlined, and just as stable as any of the steel or aluminum plates I have used. It is a treat to pack this plate as compared to the hard plates, as it is not only lightweight, but also flexible. The only drawbacks I could see is that I do not know if it would be suitable for shore diving where long walks to the entry point are necessary.

Turk9

Turk9 - did you use a crotch strap with the ultralight? Thx, M

I have been using the Oxycheq UL "plate" for a couple years now in Bonair and Cozume with their 18# travel wingl. I do not use a crouch strap with it, but I do not use one with my heavy plate (single) either. Stability is quite adequate with a 63 or an 80. I put 4 # of lead on the tank bands and trim is good.

Walkimg to sites in Bonair was no problem. I have not yet tried it with an 80 mounted and a 63 slung (Karapata dive plan) but that will come. I don't expect any problem in the water but do plan on two trips up & down stairs to get to and from the entry.

BTW, my wife dives with a DR transpac and comments every trip on how much room I seem to have in my luggage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the ultralite plate with mach v wing shortly after it came out... switched to transpac with dr wing (which I used for about 1 1/2 yrs) before deciding that I like the oxycheq system much better!! More stable than the transpac, better fit and shaved some weight off for packing purposes.

The Transpac is not all that light weight. Great BC but not a travel BC. I'd still pack it and pay the fee because I like my Transpac.

Back
Top Bottom