Tank Band Weight Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd like to add some weight pockets on to my tank bands so I don't have to have it all in my pockets.

I'm thinking about these:
single_pocket.jpg

Where is the best place to put the pockets? Top band or bottom band? If you have 2 pockets, I'm guessing one should go on either side of the same band rather than one on top band and one on the bottom band?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

XS Scuba makes good pockets, Halcyon also has a set that has snaps instead of Velcro.

Personally I have 2 sets (4 total pockets) but I always load the top set first. If you are just diving a single tank put them on the top band. If you are diving with a pony i would put them on the opposite side of the pony (one on each band) to balance out the weight.

Yes they should be balanced on both side of the same band. Whether you use the top or bottom band depends on your trim. First you decide how much weight to carry using the standard buoyancy test at 15 feet.

Then comes trim. Assume a supine position underwater and don't move your arms or legs. If your body turns to a standing position, use the top band, if not use the bottom band. The position of the tank in the BC will also affect your trim, so keep that constant.

Also, I think it's best to keep the trim pockets as close to your body as possible.

Adam

Where is the best place to put the pockets? Top band or bottom band? If you have 2 pockets, I'm guessing one should go on either side of the same band rather than one on top band and one on the bottom band?
The XS Scuba weight pockets work great and are relatively inexpensive (approx. $10 each).

The best place to put the pockets is wherever they help optimize your weight distribution. It's really a trial and error process.

As one datapoint, my BC has two tank cambands. After experimenting with moving weight around my single-tank rig, I settled on the following configuration: 3 lbs. in one weight pocket on the top camband and 3 lbs. in one weight pocket on the bottom one. The weight pockets are snugged up against the STA with one on either side of the STA. They ride next to the wing.

Azrael's recommendation to put both pockets on the top band will work only if you need all of the weight on that top camband. Start with your ballast 100% at your hips and then begin shifting small amounts of weight toward your head until the weight distribution promotes good static horizontal trim.

With experience, you'll realize that body positioning can actually compensate for a fair amount of suboptimal weighting.

Kryssa

In general I like to keep all of my weight on a harness or belt. The exception being what I need on my upper body to attain comfortable trim. As such the top cam band provides the best leverage to lower your nose. Bubbletrubble is spot on in saying the real answer is what works for you.

Pete

Like strapping a surfboard to the roof of your car vertically.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom