DIN to yoke conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wilson23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
would the yolk from a DST/TX50 be compatible to convert a FSR tungsten from DIN to yolk?

would the yolk from a DST/TX50 be compatible to convert a FSR tungsten from DIN to yolk?
Yeah. The yoke parts from a DST first stage will work on a FSR tungsten first stage.

However, the cosmetics (metal finish) of the yoke parts might not be an ideal match with the rest of the FSR first stage.

Would you say this is something an untrained individual with tools, such as myself, could do? I'm not really worried about the finish.

I answered your question in the "Regulators" forum.

The official answer from Apeks would be that only an Apeks-authorized technician is allowed to make the conversion from DIN to yoke or vice versa.
If you have a good relationship with a local reg tech, he should be able to do the conversion for a nominal fee (or free if you're lucky). This would be the easiest and safest course of action for a reg owner who doesn't know how to work on regs.

As with a lot of stuff on regs, it's important not to over-tighten the yoke clamp connector into the first stage. There's also an o-ring at the bottom of the yoke clamp connector that can possibly pop out of place if the first stage isn't oriented properly during installation of the connector.

The biggest problem you will have doing this is holding the first stage steady. The yoke and Din connections are torqued in there pretty good and depending on the last tech to service your equipment they could be really wrenched on there. There is also the age and condition of the filter and o-ring to consider and my recommendation as a certified technician is to take both units to your local dealer and have them make the swap. They have the tools so not mar up your finish and should perform both a bench test and submerged leak test before giving you back the regulators. They will also be able to replace the o-rings and filters if they are needed.

The absolute best time to do this is during annual service as the regulator will already be apart. Can you do this with the tools you have in your home tool box, sure, but this is the one piece of equipment you don't want to be guessing with IMO. I can tell you the shop closet to me would charge around 30$ to do this, but if you are friendly with your shop or reg tech you can do it for cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom