Catalina vs luxfer al. 40, is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely go with the Luxfer. They are easier to manage and streamline as they are not as negative as the catalinas, particularly at the base of the tank. This allows them to tuck at your sides better than the catalina tanks. Resale is also much better on the Luxfer if you decide you want to sell the tank. If you go to a tech forum looking to sell a Catalina 40 you won't have alot of interest. Hope this helps and good luck.

First of all What is the tank for?

Do you require Al or will steel do better?

Is this only because of cost and your relationship to the dive shop that you decided Al Cat or Lux?

I'm looking to sling it as a RAS/stage, I've grown tired of re-purchasing gear because I've "grown out of it" so to speak, so I figured a 40 would be best if i ever decide to move out of recreational diving, as i said I'm tired of repurchasing gear so if I would regret the cat later on ill find a way to get a lux

It's to bad I didn't read this post earlier as I am in Ottawa until Monday we could of met. Just spent the last few weekends at the quarry Tomorrow I'm at the Connie with students, I'll be back in Feb 2012. Since you don't want to be buying equipment later on down the road might I suggest a LP 40 steel over AL.

Reasons to think about:
The LP will allow for better fills without having to search out places that require haskels to boost your O2 should you want to go straight O2 fills. This not a problem if you just go EAN blends.
The stream lining and buoyancy is I believe better, Steel is always negative, newer steels have more neutral buoyancy characteristics when empty.
Steel is more expensive then Al but my experience is that many tech divers use and prefer steel over AL. Can't say I have ever seen steel tanks floating upwards and behind the diver when slung as a stage. I can say I have seen them hanging too low, a result of sloppy rigging. AL will tend to float bottom high, not the ideal streamlining characteristic. Proper measured stage rigging of your cylinder can minimize this common effect when using AL
Depending on your environmental choice, hard overhead vs virtual overhead, Steel vs Al has both advantages and disadvantages. AL will float valve down, bottom up when dropped and secured to a line making them subject to current flow and environmental impact and possible damge to the cylinder/regulator. Something that can ruin your day just when you really need that gas at a critical time. Steel tends to lay flat and weighted thus generally more secure staying in placement even in higher current flows thus less damge potential. Proper securing techniques will keep any cylinder in place and secured on a line.
Steel when hydro tested correctly and thoroughly will permit repeated 10% overfill (2400 to 2640 psi) thus a 40 becomes 44.8 cu ft, You cannot by industry standards do a 10% overfill on AL at any time.

It appears cost, resale and buoyancy characteristics are a concern driving your decision, in any case I offer a suggestion of using steel. Down the road this may save you money in the long term and address the buoyancy concerns you expressed. Any cylinder when maintained correctly last for years, I have steel and Al cylinders from the 1970's. The bottom line is do they have the needed volume of breathing gas. It's your choice good luck

Last edited:
You won't grow out of an AL40. I have 6x al40s and 7x al80s as deco and stage bottles. (plus various sets of doubles). In fresh water the Luxfers are a bit nicer although far too much internet hoopla is made over the trivial differences IMO. Mine are a mix of Luxfers and Catalinas. I think I only bought my first al40 new, the rest I found used.

I recommend sticking with an aluminum bottle instead of steel. I find catalina 80s to be considerably heavier and worth avoiding, but I don't think it matters much one way or another in regards to al40s.

Imo, preference goes to a luxfer 40, but a cheap cat will be fine. You can find good, used al40s for sale quite easily. Save some cash and spend it on divin' :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom