Using a Glock to discourage sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Found a picture of an early DIR diver with a revolver.

seanconnery.jpg

Aha! So that's the big secret attraction to DIR ... :rofl3:

What I have watched on TV and have had experience in are "WAY" different. Watching the Mith busters say that if you fire a weapon on land into the water it will not even go 1ft. There was only one gun that actually went over 2 or 3 ft I believe. There was a whole episode on this. Interesting stuff.

Personally I have not fired a gun under the water and wouldnt want to ruin my gun in the saltwater anyway and never plan to while diving at least... :eyebrow: I dive to dive. I shoot out of the water. Im not an environmentalist in anyway but "we" as humans are in the sharks territory. Thats there home. Not ours. Plus I have never heard of any diver being literally attached by a shark while diving. I have only seen 1 shark so far while diving and it completely didnt care about me or my buddy.

Now on a special note- I have been attached by a small fish about 3 inches long. Funny I know...ha ha. I guess I was in his territory and he didnt want me there. Those are the ones you have to watch out for...lmfao!!!!:rofl3:

Cant believe this quote has not made it in yet.... The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Steve: [handing Ned a gun] Here.
Ned: Oh, no, no, no.
Steve: No exceptions. Everyone gets one. Anne-Marie! Do the interns get glocks?
Anne-Marie: No. They all share one.

I'm new to diving, and during class we were told "Your dive knife is not a weapon", so I asked jokingly "So what do we use for a weapon?"

Now I know.

Im not an environmentalist in anyway but "we" as humans are in the sharks territory. Thats their home. Not ours.

There, there ... it's OK to say you're an environmentalist ... even if it's about sharks.:wink:

I'm not sure about shark dispatching, though I suppose it would work. It certainly makes sense that an UW military or paramilitary unit carrying Glocks would consider them a shark repellent.

I took the Glock Armorer course a while back and we discussed the marinization process, which really is just replacement of a couple of small parts. The instructor then went to great lengths to describe for us the litany of cracked bathtubs and pools, and some really nasty injuries that have occurred through people testing their weapons while underestimating the pressure wave generated underwater (including one fellow who cranked a round off in a bucket and darn near lost his hand from the shock wave). Their recommendation for police armorers was to install the parts, but not tell any of the officers their weapons had been converted. Glock will only sell the marine spring cups to armorers with a police department letterhead indicating they are approved by the head of the agency. I suspect there are aftermarket parts available.

My personal thought is being seen carrying a firearm of any kind into or out of the water would be an excellent way to attract the full and undivided enforcement attention of any Coast Guard, wildlife or marine patrol officer, or local deputy.

Last edited:
This entire thread is a great argument for allowing sharks to carry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom