Jet/Turtle question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did a search and read a bunch of threads on the jet and turtle fins. However I have a few questions that the threads didn't answer, since most of them are a bit dated now.

I'm looking to get a set of one or the other in preparation for a DIRF class this summer. LP is selling both jets and turtles for $62 at the moment, so cost isn't really a factor. I like that price.

I currently use a pair of thrusters. Typical OW newbie fare. I like these for reef diving, but I can't make a frog kick to save my life in the pool. Wonder why. :eyebrow:

Have the jet fins been fixed in terms of their foot pocket? Are they more secure or stable now? I hear there was supposed to be a new pocket on these coming out in late 03, did that happen, and does it seem to fix the complaint about the pocket?

Some people have said that these fins are not very decent for open water use. I don't do cave, but I am interested in learning as a preparation for wreck penetration training someday. Will I be hindering myself if I use jets or turtles for recreational diving?

I wear a size 11 shoe. I don't use a drysuit yet, but will and I understand that will be another set of fins. With a 3mm or a 7mm boot, will my fin size change much? What is the better size to get, since I hear these pockets don't run "true" to their size? Or is this something I shouldn't LP, but rather go to my LDS and pay an extra 50% to get fitted?

I can't seem to tell a difference between the jets and the turtles, beyond some slight dimension differences. Is one more appropriate for certain users than the other? Or am I going to be happy no matter which one I buy?

I was able to examine a pair of spring strap-equipped fins at a local LDS this weekend. I like. Is the process to retrofit a pair of fins with this tricky at all? I read the directions on how to put them on, that seems a piece of cake, but I'm not mechanically inclined. I'm more the computer geek.

I'm more worried about how to adjust the tension on the straps after they are mounted, or is it just automatic? My feet hurt if the straps are too tight, and I'd hate to put springs on and have that occur. Also, can I put springs on my thrusters? Does that work as easy as the jets?

I did do searches on these items. These are the questions I'm left with. Thanks for your replies.

Its hard to beat jets or turtles, but quatros are in the top three on most lists as well.

I generally wear my turtles for their unbeatable control on drift dives or wrecks

I have a pair of quatroos I like if there is no current and I want to cover some ground or am hunting. I think quatros are also a very good all-round fin.

The best way to tell what you'll like is to try them all if possible.

I wear a size 12 and use turtle wet or dry. At your foot size rockboots my be to tight (my experience) but socks on the drysuit and wetboots have worked well for me.

I wear a size 12 Bare Trek boot, and the turtle foot pocket is just about right. Perfect height, a touch wide, but I love them. The XL jet was way too small, the XXL is way too big.

The control of the turtles is great. The Volo's have since been parked.

The main difference between Jets and Turtles is the bigger foot pocket on the Turtles. Generally, if you can't get your foot in a Jet, you get the Turtles. Essentially the same fin.
They are also heavy and quite negative, so are useful when diving dry to help hold your feet down.

Jets seem to be the preferred fin, not really sure why though. Also, I fail to understand why someone wouldn't think either was good for OW. Truthfully, if I'm diving wet (seldom), I'll use my Blades, but thats mostly because the Turtles footpocket is too big for my wetsuit booties.

You should buy spring straps that fit your foot/fin. They come in different lengths for that reason. Although you can shorten one that is too long, if you're mechanically challenged, have a backup plan :wink: And yes, the tension is automatic and controlled by the length.

Some companies have retrofits for other style fins, but I have no idea what thrusters look like, so don't know about those.

Size wise, I'd guess you'd need the Turtles for a drysuit, but that's only a guess. The Turtles only come in one size, but from what I hear/see, the only size Jets that fit anyone is the XL. Scubapro foot pockets have always been small compated to other makes. Posts on the new XXL Jet seem to indicate the pocket is huge, even compated to the Turtle.

MD

I've got a set of XL Jets, Turtles, and Quattros. I also wear a size 11 shoe.

I use the Jets when diving in warm water with neoprene booties, and I use the turtles when I dive w/ my dry suit's huge boots. I loved my quattros, but I wont use them because of the release buckle on them, even though I zip-tied them closed. I had one open on a dive and won't take that chance again.

SB just came out with a new Jetfin with an XXL pocket. It is HUGE (from the pictures that I saw). I would certainly check out a pair before purchasing a set.

On a side note-you need to remember that the fin's blade size is MUCH smaller on the Jetfin sizess under XL. So much so that they are not acceptable IMO.

detroit diver:
On a side note-you need to remember that the fin's blade size is MUCH smaller on the Jetfin sizess under XL. So much so that they are not acceptable IMO.

I didn't know that. So if I can't make the XL work for whatever reason, no point in going to the next size down? I'd be better off with the turtles?

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of tip I need.

Wijbrandus:
I didn't know that. So if I can't make the XL work for whatever reason, no point in going to the next size down? I'd be better off with the turtles?

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of tip I need.

Well, not really. If you need to go smaller, you have a problem. That's really the issue with divers that have smaller feet. There is no good option for them. All of the smaller foot pockets have too small of a blade. That said, I'm sure smaller "footed" people are using them. They just aren't as efficient as the XL blade.

If the XL is too small for you, move to the Turtle or the new XXL Jet-after trying them out.

Boogie711:
Don't sweat it. There is no WAY you can move DOWN from an XL if you have a size 11 foot, even if you dive barefoot. In fact, an XL may be too small.

Using a drysuit, Boogie is correct. You couldn't get your size 11 feet into the pocket of an XL Jet.

As I said, I use mine only for warm water, wetsuit diving.

Hey Robert,

I use both types of fins. The Jets when diving wet with booties and the Turtles when diving dry. I wear a 11- 11 1/2 shoe and the both fit with the appropriate dive gear. The XL Jets were not big enough for the drysuit boots.

Next time you guys are down at Blue Hole, or maybe the Rock Lake dates we were talking about, you are welcome to try out either (or both) pairs of mine. Just let me know and I'll make sure to pack both. BTW they both have spring straps; the ONLY way to go! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom