Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1st "summer dive" in NS , diving wet. Speared a big flounder and found a bivalve shell I didn't think native to NS. Water temp. 46F.

Had a wonderful dive in Carmel California enjoying 50ft vis, colorful hydrocoral, schools of blue rock fish, magical kelp forests with one of my favorite dive buddies! Topside - Risso Dolphins, sea lions and one little sea otter back floating way off shore :) !

Nice little lake in Southern Germany, stayed above 6m to stay warm. 75 min, nice fish, relaxing.

Panama City, Florida ... with Wayward Son and his wife Joyce. We went out on a charter to two local wrecks. It was my first salt-water dives in Florida ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last weekend I did a number of drift and crawl dives in the St Lawrence with a group of 7 buddies. The river was quite silty given all the rain we've had in Ontario this spring, and the usual currents weren't doing their usual thing. Water temp 48F, and the lights started going out at 85 ft. At 100 ft it was quite dark, and at 150 looking up there was absolutely no way to tell that the surface was that-a-way due to the silt.

Got to see my first ever long nosed gar.

Drove up to Pensacola from Orlando (7 hours...) to dive Oriskany with a small group. As a Navy pilot in the early 70s had landed on Oriskany once in an A7 while we were in two-carrier-ops in the South China Sea.

Dive operator was good (H20 below); dives were short and not without minor complications but overall great experience. Had been wanting to do it for awhile, so it was good to get it done.

Weird double post.

OK, this was last week just got back.

Dove Key Largo, we ended up doing Molasses (winch hole, spanish anchor, etc) and Elbow (wreck of City of Washington, etc).

Went out with three different operators, Blue Water Divers, Quiescence and Silent World, all were good and all I can now recommend.

Wreck of the Hebe off Myrtle Beach, SC. Seas: 3 Current: slight Temps: 70s Vis: 30+

The usual baitball, sting ray, sharks, large grouper, jacks, spades, angels, and lots more. Large dead turtle being consumed by scavengers. Some were treated to dolphins at the hang line while others watched from on deck or snorkeling off the stern.

Treasure: antique bottles, brass fittings, a button, large banded tulip shell, slipper lobster. Depth 105 BT 60 TT 90

Yesterday dived the Dunderberg off Harbor Beach, Michigan. This was a goal I've had for a couple of years. The thunderstorms never materialized and Lake Huron calmed down to a gentle roll. Nice sunny day.

I can't say enough about that wooden shipwreck, it is so intact. 154 ft to the clay bottom. You can see the gash in the starboard side where a metal-hulled ship t-boned the Dunderberg. She was built in 1867 and sunk in 1868, with a load of corn on board and the loss of one passenger.

There is an exquisite alligator figurehead at the bow, plus beautiful bow boards with carved grapes and birds, sadly these are slowly becoming covered with zebra mussels. There are all kinds of deck machinery, deadeyes and three masts, only one standing. I would do this dive again in an instant, great group of buddies and a good ride out to the dive site too.

The viz was 80 ft, 39 degrees F at the bottom, a tiny little thermocline around 20 ft that brought the temp up to 48 degrees F and made the last two hangs a little warmer. 148ft, run time 70 min.

*edit* here's some photos of the wreck by http://www.andymorrisonphotography.com/dunderberg.htm

Back
Top Bottom