WWII era wreckage found in Cultus lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When vis gets better I'd be happy to try to video the wreckage with you Dale. Speaking of vis did anyone dive Whytecliff this past weekend? From the ferry it looked like the Fraser.

You're on Andrew!

Dove the site again today and made note of writing on the sides of the boats.
Each boat has a number; 203 and 91.
Both boats have the following:
2E/EO 1210
Folding Boat Mk3
4 ESD
Jan 55
RCSME

Also found 3 more pins in the silt and solved the question of their function. They hold the load bearing girders to the boats. I saw one in position on the boats.
Also found an anchor but am unsure if it is part of the original wreckage or a later snag. Will have to show some of the old sappers to see if they remember using them.

Picture2003-22.jpg

Dale,

Cool - I had a good guess!

Are you sure the lettering was RCSME? If so, it is the - Royal Canadian School of Military Engineering.

Bill

You're on Andrew!

Dove the site again today and made note of writing on the sides of the boats.
Each boat has a number; 203 and 91.
Both boats have the following:
2E/EO 1210
Folding Boat Mk3
4 ESD
Jan 55
RCSME

Also found 3 more pins in the silt and solved the question of their function. They hold the load bearing girders to the boats. I saw one in position on the boats.
Also found an anchor but am unsure if it is part of the original wreckage or a later snag. Will have to show some of the old sappers to see if they remember using them.

It's like a mini me version of Shadow Divers, complete with the search for details but it's probably more fitting to call it Shallow Vintage Diver. I also have a clue, but in this case it's not Horenburgs knife; it's this brass handled pin I found in the silt (what could it be?):

I always wondered what the C in DaleC stood for. So...Dale Chatterton....nice ring to it.

As far as other things that can be down there. Before I got into diving and one of the guys that fiberglassed my deck (a diver) a number of years ago said that he had found a WWII plane in the lake. He said he was trying to get it raised but was caught in red tape. He said that Cultas lake used to be the dumping/bailout lake for planes that could not land safely. Based on our conversation I have no reason to not believe him. Unfortunately I can't remember who I had do my deck so I can not contact him.

Keep hunting and maybe you will find a plane :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom