Diver missing off of Provincetown?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving there several times .....never had a bad ripping current...tons of giant bugs.
we never went below 50' the lobsters are just walking around and in the toilets
also....Im booked to go this friday and also on monday...
Ill post the dive report .

Coast Guard halts search for P'town diver | CapeCodOnline.com
PROVINCETOWN The Coast Guard ended its active search for a missing Provincetown lobster diver late this afternoon, after combing waters off Race Point Light for more than a day.

Sean Strakele, 37, failed to surface as expected early Monday following an hour-long dive. The crew of the Chase fishing boat called the Coast Guard at 7:30 a.m. Monday to report him missing.

Strakele grew up in Eastham and graduated from Nauset Regional High School. He worked as a chef at Napi’s Restaurant in Provincetown for many years. He was a summer bartender at the Governor Bradford Restaurant. Strakele was also a “bubble watcher” on the Chase, boat captain John Baldwin said today. A bubble watcher drives a boat and follows a lobster diver’s underwater location by watching bubbles produced from the diving gear.

“There’s a huge dark cloud over the town right now,” said Governor Bradford bartender Michelle Labocetta. “He’s a dear friend of mine. He’s gone.”

The search officially ended at 5:07 p.m. today although Coast Guard rescuers are standing by pending any further information.

The Coast Guard end searches for a missing person at sea based on the temperature of the air and water, the gear worn and whether a life jacket was used, among other factors, said spokeswoman Connie Terrell.

“Ours is a search and rescue,” Terrell said. “We try to search as long as we possibly can, as long as we believe there may be a possibility of finding a person in the water. Barring any other information that would lead us to believe the diver can be found, we’ve stopped an active search.”

Coast Guard investigators will probe the incident further with Baldwin in the next two days, the boat captain said today. Baldwin declined further comment until after the conversation has occurred.

Baldwin said too that he had hoped the search would continue until Strakele’s body was found.

Last edited:
We don't find too many divers here once they go missing. He could be well on his way to points north by now.

Its sad for the families but fishing is what it is and the ocean is a wild place. Also we,divers rarely get to know what went wrong.

Last edited:
I have been diving there several times .....never had a bad ripping current...tons of giant bugs.
we never went below 50' the lobsters are just walking around and in the toilets
also....Im booked to go this friday and also on monday...
Ill post the dive report .

When its dived on the slack no problem. I wouldn't go in there anywere near the start of the Ebb.

I'am with you AD ...I talked to a diver that got swept over a ridge that wants to pull one down. He said you have toswim ''away'' from the wall or ''you're goin down''

Sad to hear. Would be nice to hear what happened but I'm guessing the matter will be kept private.

An hour dive while lobstering there? Wow. I sure didn't get an hour dive there at 50'. I must have been too excited grabbin them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom