Twilight Dive at Ft Lauderdale By the Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brunow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I did my first first shore dive on Wednesday evening in FLBS . I happened to glance over as I drove by and saw a few divers at the Dature Ave. beach entrance. I turned around to so I could ask some questions and was told where I could find Gold Coast Scuba. I forgot to write the address down before I left town that I got from a previous thread. Steve from Gold Coast was very happy to help find me an experienced dive buddy.

The dive was a great learning experience for me. From taking the current into consideration before you begin the dive, a surface swim really isn't that bad, you really have to look in all the nooks and crannies on a reef and that baby sharks sleep. Oh and a manatee can scare the daylights out of you.

We hit the water about 7:30 and had about a 100 yard swim to the first reef. I was amazed how much the reef started to come alive as it got darker. There were plenty of smaller fish and lobster to see. We came across a green turtle that acted like we belonged down there with it. Then my dive buddy found the sleeping nurse shark and pointed it out to me.... I had no idea that they slept. I was also wondering how long the mother shark sticks around.

All in all it was great time. I spend 44 minutes at a max depth of 17 feet. I cant wait to hit the keys next month. I would definitely recommend stopping in and seeing Steve if you are in the area and need a dive buddy.

Sounds like it was a great dive! I might have to go visit some family in the Ft Lauderdale area soon so I can try that dive. I am heading to the keys later in the summer and then up to Crystal River to dive with the Manatees. I am really looking forward to the trip.

I love that dive and have been doing it since I was first cert. in '88. I think that shark lives there full time, since I have seen a big nurse in those holes
for years. Its a great dive where you can see everything you would on a boat dive. Just don't tell too many others...just kidding. It is mostly a locals
dive but should be considered one of the best beach dives in FL. One thing to note however, if there is any kind of rough water don't bother going out.
Because the vis will be bad and the surge is dangerous. 44mins bt is great but, I'm not super on air and can stay down for over an hour. Just did a dive
there Fri PM and enjoyed every minute.

I did better then I expected I would with my air, since this dive had a several first times for me. I am looking forward to my next trip to down that way so I can dive at Dania. It sounds like good dive from what my dive buddy described. I did read some where that Ft. Lauderdale is the shore dive capital.

I agree. What a great dive! I have always had great luck there with good conditions. It's usually pretty decent though. What an under rated dive site! Glad you had fun! The shore diving addiction starts now...:D

Brunow,
Glad you had a great time diving. Steve from Gold Coast SCUBA (GSC) does an amazing job on the meetup board. He schedules several dives per week from the beach, boat, trips and etc. If anyone is looking for a buddy, group dive, training etc. GSC is the place to look.
Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup

Scubadobadoo, I can see how shore diving in Ft. Lauderdale could be addicting. I don't think that we have any reefs that close to shore here in North Florida. All though there is some shore diving in Panama City Beach that we'll be checking out.

GeorgeC,
Steve definitely went about what I expected him to do. He told me that there wasn't a dive scheduled for the times I was able to go, but he would see have he could do. It took him less then thirty minutes find someone who could dive and work out all the details. He has earned my business if I am in the area.

Last edited:
They are a great group of divers. I have a condo about 1/4 south of the pier in LBTS and have met many buddies from Gold Coast. They dive almost everyday, and when i am there i offer free parking!!!! My avatar is from the reef at LBTS. The better dive though is swimming out to the mooring balls.

Thanks for the tip on the mooring balls. Hopefully the next time I can hit the water a little earlier and swim out to them. This dive was a little rushed as my dive buddy got to the shop late. He also felt that since this was my first time in the ocean that we should stick as close to the first reef.

I'll hopefully be doing this same dive in about a month. We'll see how it goes... I'm really looking forward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom