Wrenches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what I keep in my save a boat dive kit. It needs to be able to service a reg, along with the Scubatools Scubapro tool, plus change spark plugs, and everything else I throw at it. I have found a large Snap-on adjustable wrench flexes less than a regular Snap-on combination wrench of 19mm and up, when really torquing on them. Think cheater bar. Adjustable wrenches are pretty solid.
57261.JPG

ADHW6, Wrench, Adjustable, Wide Mouth, 6"

If you want flare wrenches you can get them with two sizes per wrench.

If you want flare wrenches you can get them with two sizes per wrench.

I'm thinking I don't because of the way these SP hoses have a ridge that is bigger than the nut size. So the flare wrench won't slide pass this point and onto the nut.

I need to find some short handled wrenches for my SDK so they take up less space.

Best small adjustable spanner I've ever found is an old Bahco from Sweden.
Grips well and doesn't slip.
Can be found in Saab and Volvo tool kits.

008-2.jpg

Good tool but total overkill at best and may not fit at worst. Flare nut wrenches are for flare nuts on pipe fittings, not scuba hoses

57261.JPG

Sorry but these are overpriced crap. I had one, sent it back for a refund. I have adjustable wrenches that cost half as much that are 4 times better. Even with the older US made ones which were better made the concept is flawed.

As for tool material, the rule is that the tool shoud be at least as hard as the work; otherwise the work won't get done

Good technique + decent tools = no problems, no need to mortgage the house. If you're fussy like Dack by all means use flare nut wrenches or brass tools but it's not necessary to do a good job and you will either damage your tooling and/or spend more money than you really need to

If your'e keen on not leaving any real noticeable marks on your reg/ hose fittings then just buy some AN style anodized aluminum wrenches, I have a set for SS hose fittings on my LOCOST and I can use them for the brake lines too. Don't make the same mistake I did and buy a cheap set only to find out they will flex a lot and then have to go and buy a good set, but at least I have two sets of pretty colored wrenches in my box now......

I'm really curious how much torque all you folks are putting on these wrenches. Very rarely have I had any wrench "flex" on me to any noticeable degree and it was always with a cheater bar attached. If you're putting that much torque on something my guess is it has nothing to do with SCUBA.

I'm not satisfied with either the pocket scuba tools nor standard crescent wrenches. Both seem to leave tooling marks on the chromed brass fittings.

Anyone have brass wrenches or some other alternative?

Yeah I know it's a small thing, but it matters to me. :)

- Dack

Wenches, Yes I'll give advice on this.... Oh, wait,the topic is wrenches:D

I agree with some of the earlier posts regarding hand tightening then just a bit snugging with a wrench. Following this technique avoids almost all marking issues. If you are damaging something with this technique (even with the scuba multitools), you are tightening things way too much. That said, I have Craftsman open end wrenches 5/8 and 9/16 for the low and hp sizes in my save a dive kit. They don't rust and I've not had an issue with marring. I also have an adjustable for those occasions when I need two wrenches or a different size. If you need to get a bit more obsessive with tools:

http://www.scubatools.com/default.aspx

OK, I use'm too, but I'm not that obsessive, really I'm not that obsessive:shakehead:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom