Diving in Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlairJ007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Last year we went to Isla Mujeres on vacation, and wow, estoy enamorado (I am in love) with that Island. I am working on getting OW certified right now and I want to make Isla one of my first dive destinations as I was only able to snorkel there the last time.

Can anyone speak to their diving experience there and are there any good dives for beginners? Has anyone done the Isla Contoy excursion to see the whale sharks?

I have not dove off Isla Mujeres but have had some good times there. I do recall visiting a couple of dive shops there and inquiring about diving and there were some fun sounding opportunities. You may also wish to consider Cozumel since you are so close to it. The whole island practically revolves around diving tourism.

Had a great time with Scorpio Divers (Ben and Jorge) diving out of Puerto Morelos, and I think they can do Isla Mujeres as well. We also did the Whale Shark trip (not scuba) and it was phenomenal, but I got seasick on the way out and it rained on us on the way back. If you can get to Underwater Museum (El Museo), that's one I want to dive when we go back.

Best,
Graham

I really want to dive the Underwater Museum. It is on my shortlist of dives I want to do. As for Cozumel, we are most certainly going to make a trip there when we are down there. We love cozumel, especially the abandoned north side of the island!

You've picked a fantastic place to introduce yourself to the wonderful of scuba. Have you tried asking around on ScubaBoard's Cozumel Forum? You'll get tons of help there.

Welcome to SB, btw. :coffee:

Last time we were out there, we stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres (adults only luxury resort) which is on the mainland right across from Isla Mujeres. We dove with Scorpio Divers almost every day we were there all up and down the coast. Went to Cozumel one day, cenotes another day, a wreck another day, ect. While we never went to Isla, I'd recommend you consider staying on the mainland, maybe taking a few day trips to Isla and diving with Scorpio during your whole trip :)

I've never dove from Isla Mujeres but I believe the island shares many of the same dive sites with Cancun which I have dove. There are some nice dive sites there, many of the sites are shallow with lots of large schools of fish. Depending on the time of year you're going to be there don't miss the opportunity to snorkel with whale sharks. An absolutely great experience. I believe whale shark season runs from June to September.

Also, Definitely don't miss Cozumel if you're going to be in the area. Cozumel is arguably much better for diving but don't discount Cancun / Isla Mujeres, the diving there is still great.

Have been to the island myself and loved it but that was before scuba. Can you shore dive and do they have a dive shop on island. Btw you have to do the dolphin experience it was awesome.

Last year we went to Isla Mujeres on vacation, and wow, estoy enamorado (I am in love) with that Island. I am working on getting OW certified right now and I want to make Isla one of my first dive destinations as I was only able to snorkel there the last time.

Can anyone speak to their diving experience there and are there any good dives for beginners? Has anyone done the Isla Contoy excursion to see the whale sharks?

We were at Isla Mujeres for a week at the beginning of the year - review of diving is here

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/370020-isla-mujeres-recommendations.html

Disregard most of it, if you're a brand new diver most of what I wrote about won't matter to you for a while. You'll have fun no matter where you dive being brand new. Almost every dive site there is good for beginners, the diving is shallow and easy and should be very enjoyable for you.

No need to go to Contoy to see whale sharks, the secret is the whale shark experience is available at Isla Mujeres and some consider far better doing it there. The difference will be the water quality, on Contoy you'll have the plankton filled water with low visibility, doing it from Isla you'll be in deep blue water with much better vis. Contoy operators are kind of pissed at the Isla operators who they feel are stealing their thunder. Contoy has very little tourist attraction dollars other than whale shark snorkeling, they have the mindset of Isla has everything else already, now they are stealing their whale shark business. But there is certainly a lot of whale shark snorkeling originating from Mujeres whether Contoy approves or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom