Dive Rite backplate is discolored after salt water dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamabowtie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a black anodized aluminum BP made by Dive Rite with only about 15 dive on it. The last 10 dives were in salt water and I soaked the BP/W in the rinse tanks immediately after each dive. I noticed after the first salt water dive after the BP had dried it looked like their was an oily film all over the BP. The once black BP now looks like a rainbow, haha. Is this normal/acceptable?

:idk: Sounds pretty cool. Must be one of those new madras BPs that changes colors every time it gets washed (wet.)

Mine has about 60 dives on it and still has the original sheen. Anywhere I have scratched the paint is another story, but I am not worried about it. I can say that the hole rig looks well used and I can say that I don't really mind that.

Mine has about 60 dives on it and still has the original sheen. Anywhere I have scratched the paint is another story, but I am not worried about it. I can say that the hole rig looks well used and I can say that I don't really mind that.

I can appreciate a worn and well used look if the gear has actually been used...but after one dive and it seemingly appears that the finish is wearing off the metal, now that I can't really appreciate. Maybe I just got a lemon? I will call DR tomorrow and see if this is a problem.

If there was an "oily film" all over the BP after you rinsed it, then there was probably something nasty in the rinse tank. Some chemicals perhaps. I've got the same plate and use it in salt water all the time, and rinse it in regular old fresh water with no problems. I'll bet that some substance in that rinse tank reacted with the coating on the plate. The coating is meant to protect from salt and freshwater corrosion/oxidation, not chemical exposure. If you don't like the plate cuz of the rainbow effect, I'll take it off your hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom