Just starting a DM Course - Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the 15 minute tread was mentioned, consider this--I, too am very negartively buoyant, especially legs. I used "drown-proofing" and it was a piece of cake-could have gone an hour. You take a breath and let your face,head go under, but your lungs float you, then come up for another breath. Perfectly legal for the test (unless your instructor forbids it for some reason). The 2 minutes hands out was only marginally harder, but still real easy--you tend to spin around. There is no way I could ever do the hands out thing without drown proofing, regardless of type of kicking ("eggbeater", etc.) or if I had been 20 and an olympian. Now you've got a 5 on one of the tests with really no physical effort at all--and you're floating, which is the objective.

For me as a non native english speaker it was quite hard to get all the names of the body-parts and illnesses into my head. once that was done the physics & physiology test was quite a big one since i don't like physics too much but it all worked out in the end. besides that reading the encyclopedia is a good way to start since it gives you most of the theoretical knowledge you need to pass the tests.
if your final goal is to become an instructor i would recommend to do the IDC straight after your DM since you will need the exact same knowledge as you already have and the rest is easy to learn. but things like the skill-circuit or rescue-procedures you will already know.

just know that as others already said you are in training so you will learn new things, too. and you don't have to be perfect in what you do yet. part of your job is to encourage people new to diving that they don't have to worry about exams or if they really like diving. just make them feel comfortable an help them when they don't know a way out. let them try by themselves first and when you see it doesn't work you can still help.

that's it from my side ;-)

Thomas

Having just finished the class, welcome! :)

Let students make mistakes, as long as they won't get hurt. They learn a lot faster that way.

I agree-learn to read your instructor's mind. Anticipate and Provide. Do things their way, skills their way. Everything just works better.

Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself, or be goofy. Students are nervous. If you show you aren't, it helps a ton!

If you can, sit in on classroom sessions. The knowledge of teaching style and the review of PADI ideals helps. Also, watch the OW video again. The more you review, the better off you are.

The new test is different-so if you are doing the new program there are only two sections, and no physics.

Finally, when you dive with students-have fun. We chased a squid today, and had a blast. (Dives 3 and 4) Yes, you are navigating, yes they will follow you, cork, muck up the viz, get lost, and swim way too slow, but if you have fun so will they!

I just started AI, and my outlook is changing yet again. The more knowledge, the better!

~Megan

Choose your instructor well. The instructor is also a mentor. Having a mentor that you hate sucks.
Spend a lot of time in the pool just practicing (videos are great [and merciless]).
During your class you will make a lot of mistakes, a year from now you will call those mistakes "experience".
Don't quit. If it becomes obvious that you are not ready to be a DM right now, your instructor will have a talk with you, BUT YOU DON'T QUIT. (Sometimes you are your own worst critic--that isn't your job--it is your instructor's job).
Learn from the students. While they will make mistakes, they often approach problems with a fresh perspective that will help you later. It will become ways to help those with difficulties.
Nobody knows everything, that includes you. Be confident in your abilities, but let someone else own the "god complex".
If you have a weakness, the DM program should find it. What you do with that knowledge says a lot about who you are.

Have a great class...

I purchased my crewpak and began studying about three months before beginning the classes. Work your way through the DM manual and Encyclopedia. The biggest portions to study are the Physiology and Physics. Also take some time reading through the Instructor Manual to get a feel for where each portion of information is located and get a general idea of what the standards are.

Begin working on your swimming if you aren't a regular swimmer. I suggest swimming three-four times per week to build your stamina and work on technique. If you haven't trained in swim techniques you may consider checking into Total Immersion Swimming, Swimming How-To Videos, Swimming Accessories.

For the pool / ow sessions talk with the instructor ahead of time to know what he needs. The instructor / dm team should be a coordinated effort. Once you learn how the instructor runs his class you'll be able to have equipment and things ready for him/her without them asking so as to keep the class running smooth and professional. In the water remember the main purpose of the DM is to be a safety diver for the students. The instructor is liable for the safety of the students and the DM is there to aid the instructor in watching over them. Stay where you are best positioned to monitor the students and always maintain a position which allows you to respond immediately.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you.

I am about a month in and lucky enough to have been working in a dive centre for a while.

I can echo what the others have said and add my own

Ask your instructor as many questions as you can and not only in classroom sessions. Each time I come out of the water with students or qualified divers I am full of questions and he gets bombarded..he says he doesn't mind so I will keep doing it. I find that if I wait for a class session I forget what I wanted to ask.

Take criticism constructively and not personally!!! and USE it next time!!

Equally, take praise when it comes..if you are like me, I am way too hard on myself..

Read, read and read again

learn how to use the table!!! I learnt with eRDP and have had to learn the tables, I am glad I did as more than one student has asked me about them

Remember how you felt doing your open water course..

Thats all I can think of at the mo

Jox

Under the 2011 requirements, the academics have been changed. Instead of the 6 part tests now its just a 2 part test. PADI takes the whole DM manual and asks 120 questions… that’s it. Don’t fret too much about the physics/physiology for the exams, they only ask very, very elementary questions. DO study thoroughly as having instructor level knowledge of Dive Physics and Physiology is a plus, but no longer a pass/fail requirement.

I have yet to work through my internship, I hope to be done by the end of August. I have completed the pool work, the open water scenarios, waterman ship test, EAP plan, Map, DLD and the DSD scenarios… My advice is to use a BC you are not afraid of bleaching and take lots of notes… There are a lot of critical attributes to the skill that you need to hit in order to pass your skill circuit. Listen to how your instructor briefs each skill, and watch how they demonstrate it. Try to do it exactly how they do, and PRACTICE!!!!!! Run through the skills whenever you can so you get the sequence right.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom