drysuit boots vs socks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sujo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking to purchase my first drysuit (very tired of my 7mm wetsuit) and have an option in which I am not sure the best way to go. The drysuit can come with vulcanized 5mm neoprene lined boots or compressed neoprene sock. The socks do come with Roughskins soles. I do most, if not all, dives from shore
Which would be the best way to go?
Thanks for you help
John

This discussion came up on our dive last night. I have a DUI with socks and wear rock boots, all of my buddies last night had built in boots. Two of the three said that their complaint was that the boots didn't fit tightly enough, and they had a problem with air getting in their feet, even with gaitors. They said they thought they'd be happier with rock boots.

I got neoprene socks and rock boots for my drysuit (which will be going in the water for the first time tomorrow). it seems to be what everyone around here recommends if you ever do shore dives.

The difference in the two types of dry suit foot coverings are:

The sock type is intended to be use with a seporate boot that slips over the sock after you suit up. The boot will be more durable than the standard type attached boots.

The attached dry suit boots do not require an outer boot to be slipped on and thus remove one additional item that you have to put on when you suit up. If you do not dive from the shore very often the attached boots are less hassel. Some manufacturers will install different size boots if you order a custom suit. Otherwise it's usually a range, like "fits size 10 to 12". Just make up the difference with some wool socks.

Last edited:
My G/F and I both Bare Drysuits she went with the Rockboots I went with the attached boots. There are positives/negatives for both. For the Rock boots: They are nice because when the boots wear out buy another,Also havig the boot laced up helps elimate air getting into your feet. Less risk of punture to feet when boot is on. downside is another piece of gear to carry and put on, also they take little while to dry. And you have to be cardfull when getting suited up try to keep your feet off the ground untill you get your boots on as I have heard if you walk in the socks it's easy to get a whole in.

Attached boots: I like it's a one piece slip it on and go, Dry's with the suit, Bare attached boots are nice and rugged and leaves room for me to layer up with my socks to keep my feet warm. Downside is when they wear out I have send suit away to get boots replaced. Should they get a whole have repair. More air will enter/exit feet but ist's very managable.

After 2 years of the suit's we are both happy with our choice's they're are times when she would like the attached boot as it's a little tight getting sock off, I share one complaint about having to send suit out when I need new boots (havent needed yet). But other than that there have been no issue's with either of our suits we have about 60+ dives with them and they're great. So really it's personal prefrence as which you think you would be best or which route sounds best for you. I don't really think one is better than the other, they each have there own plus/minus's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom