To shoot or not to shoot (photos, not fish)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrwalsh20

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, let me first start off by saying that this is not about me wanting to take pictures underwater, i dont have an underwater camera and at the time dont want to partake in that hobby (although i think it is very cool and i love the pics that others take).

The idea of this thread is more to gauge the thoughts of others on the forum.

here is the scenario:

on a drift dive being led by a DM you have 5 total divers - 2 buddy teams and the solo DM, 1 buddy team is not taking pics, the other buddy team each have a camera. At what point does it become common courtesy that you have to realize you are on a drift dive and not everyone wants to wait for you to take a picture again. What is the role of the DM in this case, should it be their responsibility to get the others moving along?

On a recent dive i found myself finning into the current multiple times just to be able to keep in view of the DM and the other buddy team. This made myself and my buddy go through our tanks much quicker that we usually would have. I am not going to say that i was pissed about that because i understand and RESPECT that we are all on a dive together and that my goals for the dive may not be the same goals as the other divers. But at what point do i have the right to say get a move on because you are ruining this for the others? If it was just on a reef with no current, sure take as many pics as you want but when you have to physically hold on to the reef to stay in one spot so you can take your picture i draw the line.

Luckily 1 only dove with this group of 2 on one day. So please let me know your thoughts - if i am way off base for wanting to speak up let me know that also.

To be clear I am not looking to make this into an argument type of thread, just an informative one about proper etiquette.

Safe diving.

I think it's the dive operators responsibility. It's them who are ruining your dive, not the photographers who have every equal right to enjoy their dive as much as you have. In your situation, I'd just leave the photog's to do their thing and drift on with my buddy and explain that you couldn't fight the current. Would be interesting to see what the DM would do.

To be clear I am not looking to make this into an argument type of thread

:rofl3:

Good luck with that!

:popcorn:

As a photographer I would have no issues about the DM and non-photographers moving ahead, as long as this is made clear before the dive. This is a drift dive so all divers should be prepared to surface in two groups and have SMBs to alert the boat for pick up.

I found out in preschool that not everyone will agree in a game of follow the leader. Unless you paid for a dive in which you have to follow the DM, dive your own plan, and let the boat crew and DM know. Whenever you want to split from the group, just give a tap and split. Problem solved.
Put some use into that Basic scuba training. :wink:

Several years ago, myself and buddy were in Cocos and were chewed out by two Photogs for going ahead of them. We did not take pictures and moved along faster than the picture takers. Got back on the boat and was approached and told that we had no right and were inconsiderate to go ahead. It didn't get ugly, but I have never felt the same about those divers since. I also feel that I have a right to see something that is pointed out as much as pict takers. I now carry a simple camera and never care where divers swim while I'm taking a picture.

As a DM, my view is that on a drift dive, photogrophers stay with the group, not lag, and the drift is not stopped for them. I like to take pictures too, but a group drift dive is not the venue to go for the perfect macro shot. In fact, in diving with groups under any conditions, if the plan is for the group to stay together, then stay together. My wife and I often dive as our own group for that reason
(a privilege bestowed on us by most dive concessionaires in light of a professional rating and me having current liabiltiy insurance). The photographers were wrong, and the DM was wrong to prefer them over the other members of the group.
DivemasterDennis

I carry a camera, but I'm not a serious photo junkie. One dive plan I experienced in Wakatobi (wasn't carrying a camera yet) was that photographers followed non-photographers, who got their uninterrupted look at the subject before the photographers moved in. The DM and the non-photograpers moved ahead, and it was up to the photographers to follow, without causing the DM to lose touch with either/both groups. Not perfect, but everyone understood it up front, and it worked pretty well.

When I am on a photo dive I try for seperation from the group, and usualy let the DM know I/we are wanting to do our own thing. Generally this is not an issue.

Having said that unless the goal of the dive was to cover ground there should not be an issue with waitng? There should be plenty for you to look at on the reef while the photograqpher got the shot. I don't see much of a difference in spending 30 minutes on the bottom covering 300 feet or 1000 feet, bt is bt and often you see more when you slow down.

Several years ago, myself and buddy were in Cocos and were chewed out by two Photogs for going ahead of them. We did not take pictures and moved along faster than the picture takers. Got back on the boat and was approached and told that we had no right and were inconsiderate to go ahead. It didn't get ugly, but I have never felt the same about those divers since. I also feel that I have a right to see something that is pointed out as much as pict takers. I now carry a simple camera and never care where divers swim while I'm taking a picture.

Well if you were wrong for diving ahead of them, they were wrong for diving behind you. It is simple, different groups with different goals should not be forced to dive together. We are all paying good money for these dives and should be able to enjoy ourselves and dive our own (safe) plans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom