GEM recreational rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divejay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This new rebreather is going to take open water recreational Nitrox diver by storm. On a standard 80 cu.ft. 36% Nitrox tank I had a 4 hour run time with my max depth of 100 feet with the rest at 65 feet. The rebreather is extremely simple to setup, break down and dive. Within 10 minutes I had setup my equipment and was underwater. Highly recommend this system to the guys who never what to be calling the dive ever again.

This new rebreather is going to take open water recreational Nitrox diver by storm. On a standard 80 cu.ft. 36% Nitrox tank I had a 4 hour run time with my max depth of 100 feet with the rest at 65 feet. The rebreather is extremely simple to setup, break down and dive. Within 10 minutes I had setup my equipment and was underwater. Highly recommend this system to the guys who never what to be calling the dive ever again.

Huh? You are doing 240 minutes at 100/65 ft? Your SIT time is 10 minutes and back down again?

X

I didn't read it that way -- I just read that it took him 10 minutes to set the thing up in the first place, and then he did a four hour dive. I hope it was someplace warm . . .

Grand Cayman.

Even if you don't want to do a four hour dive, you can do four one hour dives on a single Aluminum 80 at moderate depths and enjoy minimal bubbles, warm moist gas, etc.

I'm teaching classes here in Florida if anyone is interested.

Doug

I have been pondering the jump to a rebreather for awhile. But was looking for a more idiot proof system. In addition for photography the lack of bubbles is key. I like the idea of this system but with a 30% exhaust I am not sure it is the answer. Anyone packing a camera have any experience with this system?

Grand Cayman.

Even if you don't want to do a four hour dive, you can do four one hour dives on a single Aluminum 80 at moderate depths and enjoy minimal bubbles, warm moist gas, etc.

I'm teaching classes here in Florida if anyone is interested.

Doug

Where may I find more info on the system? What costs are involved?

Kiss Rebreathers and Boosters

I have been pondering the jump to a rebreather for awhile. But was looking for a more idiot proof system.

I'd be careful about calling anything idiot proof. Life finds a way.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

In addition for photography the lack of bubbles is key. I like the idea of this system but with a 30% exhaust I am not sure it is the answer. Anyone packing a camera have any experience with this system?

I'm told the GEM is an improvement because the bubbles are smaller and there are fewer of them. That was from a KISS rep, so take it for what it's worth. I have no experience with the unit in the water.

The manufacture is Kiss Rebreathers and it's base price is around $3,400. You can use your own open circuit reg (for bailout) and your own nitrox dive computer to keep the cost down. The GEM comes with a Zeagel BC and the rest of equipment.

You can do a try dive at Divetech in Grand Cayman. The rebreather resort dive takes a half day with about 30 minutes in a classroom and about 30 minutes in the pool going through basic skills for this rebreather, the instructor then takes you for a 1 hour dive to max 60 feet. You do need to have a Nitrox card before you do the try dive. If you like the unit it takes 3 days to get certified, which includes 4 one hour training dives with skills to master. There was four basic simple skills like closing your loop and going to open circuit bailout and back. Pushing a botton to inject nitrox in the loop. Blowing out your nose to refresh the loop to bring up the Nitrox in the loop. The only hard skill was taking off the unit and putting it back on underwater.

Since my training I have done dives with 3-4 hours run time and yes I'm a photographer. For the guys that are always calling the dive, never again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom