Is a Padi OW cert a dive licence or a licence to learn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI is an 'introduction' to diving. I'm surprised that more people don't go out and drown with only a OW cert. Evidently there isn't that much to diving, considering.

I'd say both, but lean more toward license to learn. We all know instructors, agencies vary tremendously in what is covered and how it is covered. I think my OW instructor was very good. But there were, of course so many things I learned afterword that I stopped thinking "how come we weren't taught that"(?). Given the time allotted, I feel our instructor covered an amazing amount of stuff--definately all the basics to at least get you started diving. Now I know some folks run, like, 40 hour courses......of course students get a lot more training and come out better. But that is an abnormal situation....

I don't see it as any type of 'license'. It's a piece of plastic that says you undertook a course of training. Nothing more, nothing less. What counts is how you apply that training when the course ends.

I'd prefer to consider a PADI OW "certification card" a device akin to a diploma.

The document is proof that you have successfully completed a course of instruction that makes you competent to effect a scuba dive to a recommended depth.

The document also provides you a basis of education within the discipline upon which you can advance your studies and knowledge.

A "license" is generally regarded as a document required by a governmental agency to perform certain tasks or jobs.

One can scuba dive without a certification without fear of arrest from law enforcement agencies (in most places in the world) unlike driving. Just a comparison.

the K

There is not an "end-all" certification out there, from any agency. They are all nothing more than brief classes that introduce a person to a new set of skills and concepts. They are, all of them, in that light "licenses to learn." Without practice the skills fade and without continued academic pursuit the knowledge is forgotten.

PADI is no different.

I'd prefer to consider a PADI OW "certification card" a device akin to a diploma.

The document is proof that you have successfully completed a course of instruction that makes you competent to effect a scuba dive to a recommended depth.

The document also provides you a basis of education within the discipline upon which you can advance your studies and knowledge.

A "license" is generally regarded as a document required by a governmental agency to perform certain tasks or jobs.

One can scuba dive without a certification without fear of arrest from law enforcement agencies (in most places in the world) unlike driving. Just a comparison.

the K

The Kraken is right. The C-card (from any agency) is not a license at all. There is no state or federal law in the USA that requires you to be certified to dive. A C-card's validity exists solely within the dive industry. Dive shops and dive ops require them before selling you air or taking you out on a boat. As far as the government is concerned, nothing has changed since the first SCUBA equipment was sold in this country back in the 1950s.

It is quite possible, and entirely legal, for a person to teach himself to dive, and continue to dive, outside of the realm of any agency. All one has to do is study the wealth of knowledge available on the science of SCUBA, work carefully through learning the basic skill set and practice. Everything you need is available online without the requirement of certification, including a SCUBA compressor to fill your tanks.

Or, you can do as I did: I was taught by an ex-Navy diver who was, himself, not certified by an agency. He taught me as he was taught. He had a compressor, filled our tanks and we went diving. I was a diver for 11 years before even considering going for a C-card and then only because he passed away and I needed the card for air fills.

So, no, a C-card is not a license or anything like a license. It's true function is three-fold: It's a CYA sort of thing for LDS and dive ops; an attempt to keep the government out of the sport and it's a way for the agencies to extort money from divers.

A good diver is always learning!! I believe that no matter what certification he or she has and no matter how long or how many dives he or she has. As stated before, the Open Water Certification gives you the ability to get the required gear to dive safely. It is now your responsibility to use that gear and dive safely.

Look at someone fresh out of their open water class and compare them to someone who is a Divemaster or Cave diver with hundreds of dives. The new diver is usually kicking too hard, not properly, using his or her arms, and sucking down air faster than a runner just crossing the finish line from a marathon. The more experienced divers have their arms pretty much motionless, and use smooth, easy kicks to propell themselves through the water. They achieved this level of diving by actually diving, taking continuing education courses, and wanting to better themselves as a diver.

And watch what you say, PADI may issue everyone a temporary c-card and make you pay to get the permanant c-card after a certain number of dives. (PADI = Put Another Dollar In)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom